DeweyGreen

Maddie wet

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 13
looks buggy. buggy = good.

Thanks Maurice
Buggy = fish on, This has been my goto Fly for about 2 years now. Have had my rod almost ripped out of my hands a few times in the Lehigh with this Fly.
Browns like this more for some reason. Just Haven't figured that one out yet. But it works well all over.

I am not surprised browns like it more....I have always found when fishing a mixed species fisherie (stocked) that browns tend to hit the earth-toned color gammit (tans, browns, kacky olives, blacks) and rainbows seem to hit the brighter colors more. (white, pink, yellow, orange, red).

Just my observations.

Thanks. Now I wonder if I could tye these flies in brighter colors and get some bows hitting them? Ok I guess it's off to the fly shop to find some brighter colors.

DeweyGreen wrote:
Thanks. Now I wonder if I could tye these flies in brighter colors and get some bows hitting them? Ok I guess it's off to the fly shop to find some brighter colors.

Just change the rib and the thread head. I really like the look of that fly.
Mike.

What size is that?

Nice one, can't beat a soft hackle.

It won't be long before its time to dunk that the river.
I usually do something similar with just hares ear and partridge.
Did you use some dog hair for dubbing?
I'm over my girlfriends parents and they have a golden named Madison...maybe a should do some trimming

ha - good one Phil! I had a boxer mix that shed some great tan hair. I miss that sucker! My friends would always come over and pet him hard hoping to take home a handful - it led to killer tan scud dubbing... lol..

SBecker that one is a 12 I tie them in 14's also but the 12's work best on the river.
PhilC no not dog, My Springer is a tri color but not enough brown on her to trim lol
Just the way its tied and Jacks dubbing it's great for real buggy looking flies.
Thanks All

I still have some old hair from our old Jack Russell, she was a mix of short hair and long which looked good for streamers...haha
But joking aside I thought that the Maddie wet was originally tied with dubbing from a dog named Madison...maybe if Vcregular sees this he can give us the background...

Thats funny I Call my Dog Madder .. Hmmmm maybe a Madder wet in the future lol

What do I think? I think that fly is a fish catcher! All the maddie wet is is basically a hare's ear wet fly. It was originally tied by LRregular, and has been a go-to early season wet on the Lehigh for a long time. And yes, it is tied with hair from a Chesapeake Bay Retriever I once had. And if anyone knows Chessies, they shed some serious hair.

Tie-em up big - size 8s, in 2x long. Weight them, and fish in tamden with another wet or behind a bugger. Trout love them.

That is a cool looking fly. Like said above "it just has to catch fish."

Looks like a soft hackle hares ear? Is that right?

I have a hares ear jig I tie with wood duck tail, micro rubber/mix dubbing for collar and a tungsten bead. One of my favorites and I have them in 10-16 all differnet colors.

vcregular Yes to all you said.
I have never tried them in anything other then 12's and 14's.
I'll have to try some bigger.
They work great on the Lehigh and I have had a lot of luck on a lot of other creeks and streams also.
The orignal must have been fun to tye out of Chesapeake Bay Retriever hair.
I have a Springer but she's the wrong color for maddie wets.
I have been using Jacks Hares ear blend and natural local rabbit for it's buggness

Nice tie for sure...if you have any hot orange (or any other florescent color) thread, you can finish the head with it to create a hot spot...might help you catch a few more rainbows.

Also if you have any red fox squirrel, try some in place of the hare's ear (or mix it with the HE)...fox squirrel makes for some really buggy looking flies, IME...

Back