What do you guys do when absolutely NOTHING is catching fish?

ArtofCory

ArtofCory

What do you guys do when absolutely NOTHING is catching fish? Yesterday I fished two different stocked streams in Maryland (stocked with trout in the last couple weeks) and in both, I could SEE the trout, many trout, and I drifted damn near every fly in my box over, near, and around these fish and they were just not interested. Not one bite, nibble, chase, nothing. I tried dries, nymphs, dry-dropper, woolly buggers, green weenies, everything I could think of.

The water was gin clear, so I thought maybe they could see me, but they weren't leaving, they were just holding, up to 15, 20 fish, but not one interested in what I was offering.

What do you guys do in this situation? Pack it up and have a beer somewhere?

I've had a couple days like that. I finally managed to drop an egg pattern fly directly in front of a fish and let it set on the bottom about 3" from its nose. It eventually, in slow motion, moved forward and bit the egg. My only fish that day. But back to your original question.

Move. To another section of the stocked stream, or to another stream, but you already tried that. So, pack it up and come back another day, even the next day. As my old time fishing buddy Walt in Tennessee used to say "chartreuse dynamite always works" but I'm pretty sure that's illegal in MD. Maybe PA too.

I don’t dwell on groups of stocked fish. I’ll fish over them for a bit as I move along and happen to run into them, but more often than not so everyone else fished over/harassed them as well. Sometimes you can tease one enough to bite but meanwhile if you had just kept fishing at your normal pace, working your way upstream or down, you probably would have done better in finding willing, less pressured or even unpressured individual fish. At this time of year in particular hatchery fish can be quite finicky because they are more attuned to spawning behavior than feeding behavior. As they exit that mode a couple or few weeks later they often turn on. Catch rates of hatchery trout are usually much lower in fall than in spring under the same water temp conditions.

After drifting over/through the same patch numerous times, with different flies, and without any success, additional flogging won't do anything except make you tired. Find another beat - either on the same water, or another creek - and start over. (I usually opt for the same creek since I don't like to drive with waders on and don't like to change in/out of waders.)

Head to the nearest bar.

I have a bunch of non-scientific sub-surface flies I use in similar circumstances and one or more sometimes turn the tide of skunk, but I won't waste a whole lot of time if they just sit there. I'll try a size 10 and then go to about a size 16 or 18 if there is interest but no takes:

Nymphs tied using just Ice Dub as the dubbing.​
Bead heads, especially BH Prince Nymphs, BH Gold Ribbed Hares Ear (GRHE), BH Pheasant Tail.​
Ice Dub versions of white & green caddis pupa. White works the best for me.​
A Partridge & Chartreuse, Partridge & Orange and Snipe & Purple using wire as the body.​
GRHE or Partridge & Peacock soft hackle flies.​
M-80's​

Good luck!!

Not that I want to recommend littering on purpose, but you can try dropping a fly upstream to see if anything tries it on without a leader tied to it. (I'm recalling a story from Marinaro's Modern Dry Fly Code when an unsuccessful fisherman spilled his fly box onto the water, only to see trout taking flies he had been trying with no success.) Would that be considered as chumming?

First off, I tend to avoid fishing for trout that you can see- they're usually spawning, stupid stockies that don't respond to normal fly fishing techniques, stressed (thermally etc) or otherwise uninterested in what I'm throwing. Anyway if I can see them clearly, its likely they can see me and are changing their behaviors accordingly. The best trout water usually has a little mystery to it- whether that be a shade line, increased depth, mottled bottom, murkiness, or distance and angle from you. I tend to ignore fish that I can clearly see (stealthily sipping fish notwithstanding- but thats a special kind of hunt anyway and probably more advanced than what you're trying to achieve now)

In order of increasing pain in the ***:

Change flies (shifting between confidence flies, increasing or decreasing weight, going smaller, trying duller more natural patterns and ones tied without beads), or maybe you do the opposite and put on something dumb, bright and ugly.

Change water type- Have you been fishing the runs and pools? try tightlining or running a dry dropper in the riffles, flip some rocks to see what kind of bugs are around and try to picture what stage a particular hatch is in. Sometimes the fish are in surprising spots. Learn to tightline nymph if you don't already know how to- its your best shot at unsuspecting fish all things being equal.

Change rig: if you're nymphing, try lengthening or shortening the distance between your two flies, or switch to a single fly, or a tractor trailer with a tiny midge, or add split shot and remove beaded patterns. Increase distance between dry and dropper if that's your technique du jour, do anything to try and mimic your best guess at whats going on in the water. Fish aren't that smart, they're just opportunistic and don't like to break their routine.

Change tactics- try a streamer especially if its colder and lower light, try a strike indicator if you've been tightline nymphing, I don't usually waste time with dries unless there's a hatch on but I suppose you could prospect with one of those too if all else fails

Change location entirely- some rivers are just tough, or there are no bugs in a particular section so I won't spend too much time there if it feels off (looking at you- Delaware). I'll often bail after a half-day of slow action on certain rivers that I know are feast or famine to go hit up another local waterway that has easier pickins. Time is money afterall.

Don't try too hard, fishing is best done confidently and from a relaxed perspective. Remember it could be worse, you could be at work.

First off, I tend to avoid fishing for trout that you can see- they're usually spawning, stupid stockies that don't respond to normal fly fishing techniques, stressed (thermally etc) or otherwise uninterested in what I'm throwing. Anyway if I can see them clearly, its likely they can see me and are changing their behaviors accordingly. The best trout water usually has a little mystery to it- whether that be a shade line, increased depth, mottled bottom, murkiness, or distance and angle from you. I tend to ignore fish that I can clearly see (stealthily sipping fish notwithstanding- but thats a special kind of hunt anyway and probably more advanced than what you're trying to achieve now)

In order of increasing pain in the ***:

Change flies (shifting between confidence flies, increasing or decreasing weight, going smaller, trying duller more natural patterns and ones tied without beads), or maybe you do the opposite and put on something dumb, bright and ugly.

Change water type- Have you been fishing the runs and pools? try tightlining or running a dry dropper in the riffles, flip some rocks to see what kind of bugs are around and try to picture what stage a particular hatch is in. Sometimes the fish are in surprising spots. Learn to tightline nymph if you don't already know how to- its your best shot at unsuspecting fish all things being equal.

Change rig: if you're nymphing, try lengthening or shortening the distance between your two flies, or switch to a single fly, or a tractor trailer with a tiny midge, or add split shot and remove beaded patterns. Increase distance between dry and dropper if that's your technique du jour, do anything to try and mimic your best guess at whats going on in the water. Fish aren't that smart, they're just opportunistic and don't like to break their routine.

Change tactics- try a streamer especially if its colder and lower light, try a strike indicator if you've been tightline nymphing, I don't usually waste time with dries unless there's a hatch on but I suppose you could prospect with one of those too if all else fails

Change location entirely- some rivers are just tough, or there are no bugs in a particular section so I won't spend too much time there if it feels off (looking at you- Delaware). I'll often bail after a half-day of slow action on certain rivers that I know are feast or famine to go hit up another local waterway that has easier pickins. Time is money afterall.

Don't try too hard, fishing is best done confidently and from a relaxed perspective. Remember it could be worse, you could be at work.
Fantastic info and just the kind of ideas I was looking for. I appreciate the detailed reply! Tightlining is definitely something I need to learn. I get it in theory, but don't quite get it, even after way too many hours listening to the Troutbitten podcast haha. But I'll get there eventually.

All good suggestions, but I agree this is the easiest to try first and it often works wonders without having to go to the next on the list. My first move is to go to small natural bugs with no flash... or not....

it happens to everyone. but sometimes switching over to smaller flys does the trick. i can remember many times fishing 14 PTs and then switching to 16 or 18s made the day a little better. otherwise enjoy the free scenery, other animals, and fresh air. even a streamside lunch or coffee can make the day

Back