What do you consider an advance fly tying technique?

JerryCoviello

JerryCoviello

Hi everyone,
I have a question.  What do you consider advanced fly tying techniques?

I have a few ideas:
Married Wings
Stacking deer hair
Tying a Humpy (where the overbody also forms the wing)
Setting a quill wing on both a dry and wet fly
Weaving a body
Extended bodies
Parachutes
Folding a hackle

Hhhmmm....

Well, I think all the methods mentioned in this list are difficult and have a reputation for being methods that require practice.

Can I vote for "all of the above"? :)

I agree with Dave. All the above. ;-)

wally wing

paraloop

composite dubbing loops (the latest rage of simple dubbing loops)

waterwalker dry flies

weaving hair hackles (george grant style)

knowing when there is enough dubbing on the thread

knowing how to achieve a clean head area without 67 wraps of thread and without completely blocking the hook eye with poorly trimmed materials

learning proportions

consistency

durability

thread control

Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them

this is not a tying technique but buying the "fly tyers benchside reference" book and trying new techniques might help

deer hair parachute

Thanks for the replies.

Reason for the question was to plan new workshops for Advanced Technique for the FFI website under the new Education Committee.

Since the FFI wants to have the ability to teach and supply materials for instructors and members, the Fly Tying Group is charged with coming up with ideas and materials to satisfy this requirement.

In my limited tying career, I found spinning hair and tying upright wings to be the most precarious techniques to employ.

I have never found a way I really like to strip peacock herls and prepare hackle stems for bodies.

JeffK wrote:
I have never found a way I really like to strip peacock herls and prepare hackle stems for bodies.

ah man, I think I would rather clean the toilet than strip peacock herls. I stripped about a dozen of them once, never again. Pre-stripped quills are just to cheap and convenient to not buy, not to mention you can get em dyed in pretty much any color ready to roll.

I dont know if its "advanced", I'm not sure if anything in fly tying is actually "advanced", but dubbing loops are a really useful technique that some people shy away from because it takes a few seconds longer than twist dubbing. So many possibilities of different looks and styles just from a dubbing loop, heck you can even hackle with a dubbing loop - dry - and wet.. Although, like I said, I don't know what "advanced" really means, but I think a dubbing loop would be a step above the absolute basics.

Guess I never thought of a dubbing loop as advanced. I taught it in my beginner classes for 30 years, since my classes were 8 weeks long.

But I can see that being an advanced topic.

JerryCoviello wrote:
Guess I never thought of a dubbing loop as advanced. I taught it in my beginner classes for 30 years, since my classes were 8 weeks long.

But I can see that being an advanced topic.

Yeah I dont know if it is or not either, I just think its one of those techniques that have a lot of use, I never took a class so I have no idea whats considered advanced or beginner

Peacock herl is pretty easy too...Just a pencil eraser raked tip to base, flipped over and done to the other side.

MKern wrote:
Peacock herl is pretty easy too...Just a pencil eraser raked tip to base, flipped over and done to the other side.

Ill stick to the pre-stripped stuff, call me lazy!

I think managing deer hair in general is an advanced technique. A stimulator being a real good example. If a tyer can crank out a really good looking stimulator they are getting it from the deer hair management end. I feel most beginners would be a bit frustrated trying to tie a real good stimmy.

The issue with deer hair management are:

1. the tyer usually selects more then is needed.
2. Thread management. When to use tight thread wraps vs loose thread wraps.
3. the type of hair.

Those are the two issues I find when teaching any flies using deer hair.

anything i couldn't figure out how to do to my own satisfaction. man, if you tube had been around when i did a lot of tying. i think the only thing i watched someone do and just laughed and walked away was braided/woven nymph bodies.

Back