What do I need in my box for Wyoming???

elonDO

elonDO

Just found out I'll be going out west to fish in Wyoming in early/mid-July. This will really be my first adventure fishing out west. Will be staying in Pinedale, WY, and fishing various waters including: the high mountain streams in the Bridger National Forest ( Horse Creek, South Cottonwood, North Cottonwood, North Piney, Middle Piney, Big Sandy), and likely floating the Green River & New Fork.

From what I've read, this can be a largely dry fly game. I've got my central PA box full of sulphers, BWO, and some hoppers/beetles, but have no idea if this will cut it. It seems like some bigger dry flies may be the ticket. Any recommendations on what patterns & sizes I should have in my box?

I've got a pretty good supply of nymphs for central PA, I'm guessing I may be able to use these without having to make too many additions (ex: pheasant tails, hare ears, prince nymphs, copper johns).

Any recommendations or other advice will be greatly appreciated. For anybody that's been out there before, what gear did you fish? I've got 4-wt, 5-wt, 6-wt, but not sure which to bring or if I should bring them all.

Thanks in advance. The anticipation for this trip will certainly help me get thru the winter cabin fever!

Stimulators. A whole box full of them.

Also, size 16 tan elk hair caddis.

Although most of my time is spent a bit north of where you are going, on the Yellowstone River, I don't imagine it is that much different.

Stimulators would be an excellent choice, and I probably fish more #16 Parachute Adams, and big Pat's Rubberlegs than anything else during July.

I've also done well on the Green River fishing black fur bodied ants as a nymph.

Some of my best mid-summertime fishing is the last hour or so of daylight, or right up to complete darkness, which can be 10 o'clock that time of the year.

John

Agree with the above.

Your PA box will cover the typical hatches like PMDs. I suspect you will be late for any salmonfly hatches but you might have some very large, dark brown stonefly nymphs. General purpose golden stones are always good for riffle water out West too.

Are you floating with a guide? If you are, I would not hesitate to contact them and pick their brain for fly recommendations.

Kev

I fished several of those same waters last july. Great area.

You can use large dry attractor patterns. The fish were not that selective on the mountain freestone streams. I floated the upper green river down stream from the Wind River Range and there was a grey drake hatch in July in the middle of the day. Be prepared for some skeeters.

I really liked the area, compared to points north an hour or two , there are very few people and not many anglers at all.

I really liked horse creek - CO cutthroats there. I could also recommend Greys River too, little north a west of you. Fine spotted Snake River cutthroat there.

Pinedale is small. Couple hotels and restaurants and 2 fly shops.

Just FYI, I didn't use a nymph all week. Ha. Lots of pioneer history in the area as well.

Here is a recap of my trip. I have been out west probably 10 times and fished many of the famous waters and I have to say my trip last year was probably my best trip. wy trip

I would also have some chubby chernobyls in sizes 8, 10, and 12. A chubby chernobyl, black dubbed body with a purple hotspot in the middle was a good fly when I was in WY. I did better with the 10s and 12s. I would also have adams wulff in various sizes.

By the way, the green weenie is an excellent dropper! The guide had never seen the weenie. He asked if they really worked. I told him they work well in PA and convinced him we should give it a try as a dropper. The next fish was caught shortly after that conversation on the green weenie, he was convinced.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

Ditto on the Grey Drakes.

Stimulators, and anything else big and bushy
And the Wrangler Café has awesome breakfasts!

stonefly nymphs and lots of them, BIG

Sandfly is right-also royal wulffs etc…you aren't going out there to dink fish-google up Wyoming flyshops and see what they recommend for July-

When I fished CO I used a lot of a fly they called a monster beetle. Also just as everyone else has said big attractor patterns can definitely be a winning ticket.

leech fur streamers right at dark or after dark size 6 will probably catch more numbers than anything you can use .Fish them deep and let them shimmy naturally ,not stripped. concentrate on underwater ledges or current edges where the trout hunker down during the dog day and grin at the dudes who have been hammering away all day to catch a dozen dinks.Very satisfying.

A lot of different patterns of BWO's. Everyone fishes BWO's out there, including the other flies mentioned. You may go through 10 different patterns of BWO's before finding a pattern the trout will take.

Back