What did you get at the Somerset show?

D

DavidFin

I bought The Ring in the Rise by Vince Marinaro.

Some hen backs and curved caddis hooks for me and a friend as well as copies of the book.

I brought home a bunch of new fly tying patterns/techniques from Tim Flagler

Keystone Fly Fishing and an 9' 8wt mystic rod to bass fishing .
enjoyed the presentation by Tim Flagler and the presentation on pa fly fishing.

Hooks and three saddles for buggers and streamers. Mostly, good memories of catching up with old friends.

Two fly lines heavily discounted fly lines, two coffee mugs from Jeff Currier, a hat and beer.

I didn't buy anything but a bad cup of coffee

For those that attended, how were the crowds?

For those that attended in years past, how did the crowds this year compare?

Thanks!

Yo Bam

Saturday struck me as pretty busy, but some of the regulars and vendors thought this was not a record crowd. Friday apparently was real busy, though. I do recall past shows where it was hard to penetrate past the throng to see what was in some booths.

Since the November Fly Tying Symposium was sadly pretty sparse, both in terms of booths and visitors, I was gratified to see the attendance was pretty robust last Saturday. There might be more and better attended symposiums, so that may have reduced the floor traffic. I have the impression that there were more destination booths and fewer suppliers.

To the OP, I didn't splurge on hackle the way I usually do. Mike Hogue had sets of hackle tips - 3 for $7.50 - so that scratched my hackle acquisition itch. I also nabbed a bunch of $7/100 Sabre packets and made up for it by getting boutique Gamakatsu shapes from Tight Lines. What may have slowed me down was Rick Robbins telling me that Brian from Chester Rods has my 3 piecer ready, so there's that...

I was there both Friday and Saturday and I believe that the crowd was definitely lighter on Friday. It appeared to be steady to about an hour and a half before the show closed on Friday.

lestrout wrote:

Saturday struck me as pretty busy, but some of the regulars and vendors thought this was not a record crowd. Friday apparently was real busy, though.

That is what I heard as well.

I do recall past shows where it was hard to penetrate past the throng to see what was in some booths.

That is my recollection and excuse for not attending in almost 10 years.

OldLefty wrote:

I was there both Friday and Saturday and I believe that the crowd was definitely lighter on Friday. It appeared to be steady to about an hour and a half before the show closed on Friday.

Interesting although Fridays always seemed to be lighter and the day I always went. However, on any day there is a lull at some point so depending on when you are there, it can seem crazy or dead.

Thanks for the info guys!

Well Donald Trump Jr was there on Friday...

I hit more seminars than usual and kept my purchases to 12 flies, 2 packs of barbell eyes, and my non-resident Pa fishing license (2 dogs with kraut and a beer).

On another topic I noticed that a majority of the attendees at the seminars were men well over 50. I must note that I was only at the Show Saturday morning and early afternoon. IMO there was a significant lack of younger attendees. What does that say for the future of our sport?

Found some purple Pearsalls silk thread I've been wanting, a couple 50 packs of hooks and other tying supplies I can't easily find here at home (D's pre-stripped & dyed quills). Also another murder mystery book to help ward off the cabin fever.

Talked to a fella at the Douglas booth about the new Upstream models that they're releasing soon in heavier line weights, not that I'm in the market. Their Argus reel is nice little unit too. Also took the chance to waggle a sweet 8'/4wt T&T cane rod that's been on my bucket list, but first I've gotta build out an 8' Zeitak blank that I've been sitting on to tide me over...

Otherwise I didn't really see any screaming deals that I just had to have, though the TCO booth had some good bargains on Simms and Patagonia clothing if your wardrobe needed updating.

I think the real value in the show are the seminars /speakers , especially if you travel , you can really get some insight into the where , and when of locations your interested in . I missed Great Feathers this year always enjoyed checking out theyer booth .

"On another topic I noticed that a majority of the attendees at the seminars were men well over 50. I must note that I was only at the Show Saturday morning and early afternoon. IMO there was a significant lack of younger attendees. What does that say for the future of our sport?"

Actually on Sunday the crew I went with was surprised at how many younger people were at the show.

Jaybird wrote:
I missed Great Feathers this year always enjoyed checking out theyer booth .
Quite possibly Great Feathers skipped Somerset because Wayne Grauer is sponsoring a show in Maryland that they plan on being a part of.

The show will be on March 18th from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. at Arnolia United Methodist Church, 1776 E. Joppa Road in Parkville, Md. Admission is $5.00. Bob Selb of Classic Fly Fisherman is supposed to be there, along with local fly shops, Backwater Angler, and Great Feathers.

Here is a Facebook page dedicated to the show.

It was nice to see a few scouts both boys and girls coming over to the IFFF booth to learn how to tie flies. Must have had a total of 20 kids all weekend.
Jerry Coviello

Back