What Camera for on stream use?

Letort

Letort

I enjoy native brookies, who don't like to live in ugly surroundings.

Have been using my iPhone to take pics, but clunky and not waterproof.

Any camera recs? Needs to be waterproof and small enough to slip in vest pocket

Hi

Here are two 2019 reviews of the best waterproof cameras:

https://www.pcmag.com/feature/367350/the-best-waterproof-cameras-for-2019

https://www.cameralabs.com/best-waterproof-camera/

FCP

6s iPhone

10 years ago I spent $300-400 for a waterproof camera. Olympus stylus 770sw.

It’s pretty obsolete so I just use iPhone in a ziplock. Pretty sure Maurice called it a knock about camera after I just bought it, to which I was taken aback after spending $400 but I get it.

I use two cameras. One is my iPhone 6 with the LIFEPROOF case, which is water proof. I also use my Canon Power Shot digital, which isn't water proof, but it takes great pics.

Galaxy Note 4 is what I use (Samsung Android Smartphone).

Newer smartphones, I guess at least at the vendors' flagship level, are now waterproof and have more cameras on them than a camera does..

Newer phones are certainly getting larger as well, but mine still fits in a pocket comfortably and it's no DSLR, but it takes pictures well enough to suit me, plus I'm already carrying it anyway.

I'm using a go pro hero 5 with a chest harness for hands-free use. Its waterproof and one-touch operation. good videos so far. Using it on the flats in Bahamas for bonefish also.

Tg-5. Many options for shooting including time lapse. It has an incredibly short focus length allowing you to almost touch the subject with the lens. Bluetooth send photos to the phone and text / email them is pretty easy. Heavy but pretty good and durable. Also able to shoot 4k video

I would recommend the Fujifilm XP. It is waterproof and shockproof. It takes nice pictures, Ive had mine for 2 years now and its still working fine, it takes video also, and Ive been able to get some nice underwater clips pf releasing fish. When Im in a place with a good view it also takes cool panorama shots.
With a quick Amazon search I saw they are $112.

I use a go pro mounted to my net which is set to take .5 second time lapses. So, if you are alone and want to take some shots, simply hold the camera shutter button (it starts taking 1 pic every .5 seconds) get your net positioned pointing at you, lift fish out of water, and you’ve got a bunch of pics to choose from. Usually, I get two or three good shots out of the lapses.

Mind you, this is a great way to keep the fish under the water in the net while you get yourself ready- the fish only ever leaves the water for a few seconds at a time when you lift it to get some pics. It’s also great for under water shots.

You can see where I have the mount attached to my net in the pic below- although this particular picture was taken with my iPhone, Most of the fish pics on my Instagram were with the go pro attached to the net.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BgxBNl8hpOj/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1n23jvgu31r70

I also use a Go Pro with a chest mount for hands free operation. I like having video and most times I just turn it on when I start fishing and then edit any fish or scenery I want to keep.

I have an older model of the Nikon Coolpix W300. I don't use my phone at all because I know too many anglers that ended up going swimming for theirs and it didn't work after that. This camera is really cool for taking underwater video shots too. I tether mine to my waders so I don't drop it also. I have had it for 5 or 6 years and it works great.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-w300.html

My iPhone 8+ went for two swims last Thursday in VA. Had it in a Lifeproof waterproof case, but discovered there was a small crack along the side. Phone worked for several hours afterward. Worse than losing the phone, I lost pics of three 20”+ rainbows taken on a Beaver Creek.

I have the Olympus TG-3. Love everything about it except the batteries. I cannot seem to get more a couple hours on them. I would charge them after an outing and they would be dead a couple days later.

I’m currently in the market, but would prefer a camera that operated on AAA batteries.

mattwolf wrote:
I have an older model of the Nikon Coolpix W300. I don't use my phone at all because I know too many anglers that ended up going swimming for theirs and it didn't work after that. This camera is really cool for taking underwater video shots too. I tether mine to my waders so I don't drop it also. I have had it for 5 or 6 years and it works great.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/compact-digital-cameras/coolpix-w300.html

I have an older one as well and works great. Had it about 5 years.

franklin wrote:
mattwolf wrote:

I have an older one as well and works great. Had it about 5 years.

Me too. I've had my Nikon Coolpix waterproof camera for 4 or 5 years and really am happy with its performance over the years.

Just ordered the Olympus TG-5. Also ordered a factory battery for my old TG-3. Plan to give it to my nephew if I can get it working.

I had an Olympus tough camera that I used for about 10 years, till the battery wouldnt charge. Thing spent lots of time under water, never had a problem with it

Fuji's waterproof cameras are on the lower end of the price scale. Bought one for one of our teenagers in the house. I use a Fuji X-T1 now and hope I don't dunk it, which would be a pretty expensive swim.

Back