What a stud!

David

David

As I get older, this quote becomes something I think about more when on the stream... "an easy way to tell if you are old... if you fall and others laugh, you are still young. If you fall and others rush to your aid, you are old."

I think I am transitioning where friends will still laugh, but with some hesitancy. This leads me to my question... I just bought a new pair of boots with studs. I've always been cheap, so in the past I would only use 3 studs in the front of my boots and keep the rest for spares. I still don't want to use all of the studs because I don't think it is beneficial to add them onto sections like the heel. I've pic is what I was going to expand my stud coverage to... what are your thoughts? Which studs are critical for traction?

Attachments

• IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 9
David wrote:
I've always been cheap, so in the past I would only use 3 studs in the front of my boots and keep the rest for spares. I still don't want to use all of the studs because I don't think it is beneficial to add them onto sections like the heel. I've pic is what I was going to expand my stud coverage to... what are your thoughts? Which studs are critical for traction?

Studs in your boots are still cheaper than staples in your head.

Load em up.

I put at least 3 studs in the heel and 6-8 on the from of the boot. Usually try to put studs around the entire edges of the boot and a couple in the middle for good measure. If I lose one or two I still ahve plenty of grip on slick rocks.

Hundreds of dollars sunk in rods, lines, and waders.

$40 for a tank of gas.

I don't worry too much about the cost of replacing studs occasionally.

But don't you find that at times, such as the slate in Erie, the studs are actually a detriment. I have found myself on my heels to get what traction I can.

David wrote:
But don't you find that at times, such as the slate in Erie, the studs are actually a detriment. I have found myself on my heels to get what traction I can.

No. Especially in Erie. I usually have the simms hard bite studs or star cleats. The texture of these studs grips extremely well on rather soft shale.

Cheap....no...not you. I use the motor cycle ice racing studs. Big bag for cheap and ordering from the lady in Wisconsin is a hoot.

I fill in all the spots as well. Studs are way cheaper than replacing a good rod if you'd break it.

Father's Day isn't too far off. You could hint that wading studs would beat the socks and tie thing!

PennKev wrote:

Studs in your boots are still cheaper than staples in your head.

Load em up.

This. Falling on my head sucks.

I use probably 12 in each boot.

As mentioned above, the Kold Kutter studs are the way to go - 22$ shipped for 250 of em on Ebay.

Anyone ever experience sore feet when stream walking for hours ? I have, wouldn't leave them home though. Mine are korkers with the replaceable soles

henrydavid wrote:
Anyone ever experience sore feet when stream walking for hours ? I have, wouldn't leave them home though. Mine are korkers with the replaceable soles

Yes, but my foot soreness had to do with the overall crappiness of the insoles in the boots. I replaced the insoles in my Korkers with insoles with much better arch support and foot pain drastically diminished.

I usually put ten on each sole.
In fact, when I bought the simms hard bite studs - they came in packs of 20.
If you're going to do it, might as well do it right IMO

salmonoid wrote:
henrydavid wrote:

Yes, but my foot soreness had to do with the overall crappiness of the insoles in the boots. I replaced the insoles in my Korkers with insoles with much better arch support and foot pain drastically diminished.

I've never had any issues with my korkers but that is an interesting idea. What insert did you use to replace it?

Dagnubbit you made my weary ole brain cells kick in. I had Dr. Scholls inserts in my old pair of Korkers, just retrieved them and stuck them inside the new pair.

Thanks for the kick start Salmonoid

I had 5 star cleats on each of my Simms boa boots. I had trouble on the Delaware catch & release section. I call it the bowling ball section. Big round stones. I added 5 more per boot. Testing starts Monday.

Huh! When my feet get sore from wading too long, I sit down and take the load off of them.

For Erie tribs, I prefer felt bottom with studs (all of them).

Had a bad spill on moss covered rocks last week. Just grabbed a pair of my LL Bean rubber lace up walkers, went to a local hardware store and found 5/8" screws with quartered heads that are very sharp. For 3 dollars I loaded all the top ridges on the soles and sides with the screws. Used them yesterday and they worked better than any fly designed cleat I ever purchased. Can't beat the price.

The Simms studs and cleats are junk...they just do not last! Really stay away from their Alumabite cleats. Those are a disaster on smooth surface rocks. I almost went into a hole well over my head because they acted like ice skates. I just ordered some of those Kold Kutter motocycle racing studs. So far after one weekend they are pretty good! However my Simms G3 boots still have issues holding the studs and feel most of my traction issues are with the sole pattern. I am very unhappy with those boots and wish I went with Korkers.

When I talked to her to order she told me the name of the racer who uses them like he was a household name.

I fill up all the spots, and notice when any fall out just by loss of traction. I haven't had any fall out lately though, I started using super glue on the threads before screwing in, haven't had a fall out sense.

FarmerDave wrote:
Huh! When my feet get sore from wading too long, I sit down and take the load off of them.

For Erie tribs, I prefer felt bottom with studs (all of them).

You apparently don't fish Erie too much when it snows. Felt and snow is equivalent of the platform boots you probably wore in the 70's.

Back