Wet Weather Continues

salmo

salmo

Looks like our wet weather continues, at least in SE Pennsylvania. We have had about 6.5 inches of precipitation since January 1, 2019 in the King of Prussia area. If I am not mistaken, that's about the same for the same time period in 2019.

I hope that is good news for our Gemmie streams! :)

Not rain here for days, after last year it is noticeable to go more than 3-4 days with no precipitation. Hopefully this steady melt will aid in taking on any showers without blowing things up. Good luck to all fly anglers.

As of the end of last month, the pittsburgh area was already 2 inches above normal precip for the year.

I sure hope that changes.
Be nice to have decent stream levels for the spring hatches

After today, the weather predictions are for a period of dry weather.

Hopefully this break in precip will allow the bigger streams and rivers to drop down to more normal levels.

I've checked the USGS charts and many streams and rivers in PA have not recorded a normal level reading for the date since last summer.

For weather geeks > Link with spring predictions for precept nationwide

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Stage-Set-Potentially-Devastating-US-Spring-Floods?cm_ven=cat6-widget

First trip to the Delaware today was cancelled due to angry seas. This is just how I ended last year. Next weekend is looking good for the first shad trip though.

poopdeck wrote:
First trip to the Delaware today was cancelled due to angry seas. This is just how I ended last year. Next weekend is looking good for the first shad trip though.

No doubt ^ .....but things are looking down (a good thing) by next week.

There have been a little action reported so far with the Shad Report but it is a little early in the season > 50* is the start of shad hitting flies and lures.

I think we all have learned from last year with the cold weather hanging on until late in the season that the migration still happens, but the fishing (catching) doesn't really happen until the water warms a bit.

The flow is predicted to go down and temps are predicted to be up...good time to man the poop deck, I would say. I like your chances. Good luck.

The recent deluge really blew things out here in SCPA. However, the streams have dropped and cleared faster than I had expected, considering the amount of water on the landscape. I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of some of the local creeks today.

Well I'm ready. The river, barring tomorrow's rain, I'm guessing should be down to around 2.5' at the lambertville gauge and the temp should be nipping at 50. I needed more flutterspoons like I need more hares ears but I had nothing better to do in the last couple weeks.

Attachments

• spoon1.jpg
    spoon1.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 5
The shad are in. They are spotty but they are in the river in Lambertville. We boated about 15 today (non-fly) and it's only going to get better with each passing day. I'm predicting another banner year. Nows the time to get out with your weapon of choice.

Back