Wet Wading

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Some good info on wet wading gear >

https://troutbitten.com/2021/07/10/wet-wading-gear-and-a-system-for-fly-fishers/

Thanks for the post. I have done a lot of wet wading for years on my canoe trips. I have plenty of wet suits and dry suits since I am smart enough to have learned the hard way how serious and dangerous hypothermia actually is.

50 degree F water is cold enough for hypothermia. I have learned that tough lesson the hard way, which nobody else needs to learn the hard way. Been there and done that.

I now have a dry suit for winter fishing. It is brightly colored and if the trout see me and are uninterested in my flies, so be it. I would rather warm up in a Pocono Bar than a Pocono ambulance suffering from hypothermia.

I don't need to catch a trout that much.

I do, however, spend much of my time wet wading in the Poconos. I follow much of troutbitten's advise. #1 is I like my new Orvis Pro BOA wading boots. I wear them with my knee high NRS neoprene socks and my L.L. Bean nylon pants.

This works just fine for me. I don't getting anything through my pants, past my socks, and into my boots.

I am sure that this is all dependent on where one fished though.

I am guessing that troutbitten doesn't ever need to fish the Poconos since he has enough great fishing where he lives.

Back