Wet fly leader

2066BFC0 EE86 4FEA 9A5F 2F7B69C23454

Since I live in a state that only allows two flies at a time, I'll only answer for that. (If you want to go with 3, just extend it.)

I start with a standard tapered leader, usually 9 foot, but I'll go to 7 1/2 for blue line streams. 4x for free stone streams, and 5x for tailwaters and spring creeks. I then add 2-3 feet of tippet of the same size as the leader and attach the top dropper fly to that. I then attach 2-3 feet of tippet one size smaller than the leader, using a blood knot -- it's actually easier to tie a blood knot with a fly already in place. I leave the tag on the part with the fly attached at about 6 inches -- this allows for one or two changes of the fly. The reason the last segment of tippet is so if I snag the point fly, I'll only lose one fly.

That's what works for me. YMMV.

Search wetfly01 in the members and read everything he has to say about wet fly fishing. Dave is the man when it comes to wets.

Since I live in a state that only allows two flies at a time, I'll only answer for that. (If you want to go with 3, just extend it.)

I start with a standard tapered leader, usually 9 foot, but I'll go to 7 1/2 for blue line streams. 4x for free stone streams, and 5x for tailwaters and spring creeks. I then add 2-3 feet of tippet of the same size as the leader and attach the top dropper fly to that. I then attach 2-3 feet of tippet one size smaller than the leader, using a blood knot -- it's actually easier to tie a blood knot with a fly already in place. I leave the tag on the part with the fly attached at about 6 inches -- this allows for one or two changes of the fly. The reason the last segment of tippet is so if I snag the point fly, I'll only lose one fly.

That's what works for me. YMMV.
Good advice and nice easy set up! Thanks for
the reply.
Mike

If you search Davy Wotton or Dave Whitlock wet fly leaders you'll find loads of info.

Also, csoult is spot on. Wetfly01 is a resident expert on how to do this and a great teacher. In fact, I used to buy my 2 dropper leaders off of him. I keep meaning to buy more.

I swing wets just about every day I fish decent sized creeks. Based on my mood I vary between 2 or 3 flies (usually based on how windy it is).

I go with a 7 1/2’ Rio that tapers to 3x (.008) or 4x (.007). This next part is unconventional. I buy a 300 yd spool of 4lb trilene clear line (.008) and tie 2 pieces of trilene (15”-18” long) onto the Rio. Leave 1 or 2 tags depending if you want to fish 2 or 3 flies. I get several years out of one trilene spool.

It’s cheap, easy, works great and I rarely break off a fish. Wetfly01 was mentioned above and I concur, he has a great system. If you are worried about .008 being too thick, Wetfly01 goes twice as thick. I probably should switch to 6lb trilene.

My advice is don’t make it more complicated than it needs to be.

You can also just fish one wet fly, which keeps things simple.

Back