Wet Fly Fishing

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Often overlooked, but a great technique for a beginner to learn to fly-fish and actually catch some fish. Sometimes it's actually the best technique to use when trout are chasing emerging insects or have grown wary of the many anglers fishing dry flies or nymphs. Very basic but worth a watch >

I really wish he wouldn't define wet fly fishing as fishing on the swing. There are multiple ways to fish wets, and the swing is only one of them, and often not he most effective way. (Nothing against it; I use it regularly, but I also use other ways just as often.)

If he is going to demonstrate down stream presentation, the least he could do would be to show the rod tip up at an angle. Pointing the rod tip at the fly is a good way to break your tippet on a larger fish, and to miss smaller fish.

I’ve been on a wet fly crusade this year. I fish only traditional Yorkshire north country spider patterns. I have been swinging wets downstream for 50 years, but this year my concentration is focused on dead drifting three unweighted #14-18 spiders in an upstream presentation in broken or pocket water. The results have been just fantastic. Oliver Edwards demonstrates the technique in the following video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge7Cl6ltAAs

Back