Wet flies

F

Fourweight

Looking for some input on wet flies, please and thank you.

Want to add a few to the fly box and was wondering about, maybe top 6 that I should have?

Fish all over NW PA and a lot in the Seven Springs area.

Keep your powder, martinis and trout flies dry,

Fourweight

leadwing coachman

I am a big fan of soft hackles. Grey Hackle Peacock, March Brown Spider, Partridge and Pheasant Tail, Partridge and Green, Starling and Purple... just a few of my favorite soft hackles.

I would never be caught without a couple more traditional wets. Leadwing Coachman, Cowdung, Alder, Light & Dark Hendricksons.

For most of NWPA, the dominant hatch is usually caddis.

For starters, try adams wet, and soft hackles in various colors. But take that with a grain of salt.

I'm not good at fishing wets, but I remember almost 20 years ago an old timer kicking my butt on Tionesta Creek. Trout were "rising," but I was getting nothing. He was catching one after another. He was nice enough to show me what he was using (soft hackle). He may have even given me one, but I still didn't do well.

Oh yea, coachman, too. Forgot about those.

Andreas wrote:
I am a big fan of soft hackles. Grey Hackle Peacock, March Brown Spider, Partridge and Pheasant Tail, Partridge and Green, Starling and Purple... just a few of my favorite soft hackles.

I would never be caught without a couple more traditional wets. Leadwing Coachman, Cowdung, Alder, Light & Dark Hendricksons.

That would be pretty close to my list as well, with addition of Partridge and Orange, a Light Cahill and maybe a Wickham's Fancy.

Parmachene Belle for brookies
Soft Hackle Pheasant Tail
Sheep Fly

I'd keep a few wet fly patterns handy for hatches- especially BWO and Sulphur Wets.

Hackle: grouse or partridge

Body: brown/tan (Hares ear)

Ribbing: Gold wire (optional)

IMHO, this is the best wet fly of all.

i agree with the above flies.

peacock and any hackle
partridge and orange,yellow ,green
stewart's spider
PTSH
GRHE - tied in the round,as well as some with a slate wing
starling and purple
leadwing coachman
royal coachman

the rest as per specific hatches: cow dung,hendrickson,MB,cahills,etc.

BTW,you can fish a PN as a wet,more effectively than most nymphs.

troutbert wrote:
Hackle: grouse or partridge

Body: brown/tan (Hares ear)

Ribbing: Gold wire (optional)

IMHO, this is the best wet fly of all.

If you were to chose just one wet fly ^ would be the one.

No need to match the hatch necessarily, but I've had success tying and fishing a wet that roughly matches what is on and in the water at the time. I.e. yellow body wets for sulphurs, bigger tan bodied ones for march browns, etc.

With that being said, some of the best fish catching wets are attractor patterns that don't really match anything....to our eye anyway anyway.

A wet fly works well as emerger in the film or can be be fished down deep. When fishing it deep, I often use it on a dropper above a heavier nymph to get it down.

You also can grease it up with floatant and fish it in the film. Many times it will outfish a dun pattern during a hatch.

Or you can swing a brace of wets downstream like the oldtimers did. That works too at times for a caddis hatch, or when mayflies are actively rising to the surface to hatch.

Wet flies are versatile flies since they can be fished on the surface, in the water column as well as down deep. Plus they are really easy and cheap to tie and most important, they really catch fish.

Picket Pen! Most productive wet I have used! GRHE wet, March brown, soft hackles, ledwing coachman.

Wet flies are a fun, active, and effective way to catch fish. I will typically fish 2-3 at a time as long as regulations permit it. The only time I seem to run a single wet fly is during a hatch when I can see or have a solid idea of where the fish I am targeting is located. Since you specifically stated 6 in the original post I will give you my person breakdown. (My location is SE PA and due to personal preference most are tied on a size #14 hook. I found with a #14 I can tie them sparse if I want to represent something smaller or fill them out a bit thicker to represent something larger.)
1.) Peacock herl and black hackle. I lay down a single thread base and tie in a single peacock herl (if you tie your own, look for a "thinner" herl that won't flare out much on the hook) and before wrapping the herl add a slight amount of cement to the thread base for durability. I usually oversize the black hackle by one hook size.
2.) Soft hackle pheasant tail. I include a 3-4 fiber tail, though I have seen it omitted. For the thorax, I use the synthetic peacock Ice Dub by just rolling a few fibers onto the waxed thread since this helps flare the hackle a bit for more movement and I don't have to worry about durability. I prefer using a darker brownish partridge feather as opposed to the lighter tan/white feather (If you own a skin you'll see what I mean).
3.) Yellow and partridge. I tie in a tail of some webby fibers from the bottom of the partridge feather I use (the part that is usually stripped off and discarded) no more than a hook gap in length. The body is simply my yellow tying thread and for a thorax I will take a few strands of that webby fiber and dub them onto my thread with wax (once again I believe it helps to flare the hackle a bit). In this case I use the lighter tan and white partridge feathers for my hackle.
4.) Light Cahill. If you are familiar with Fly Tyer magazine they had a "simple" way of tying these in a past issue that I use and haven't noticed a drop in effectiveness. In short, tie in a cream tail, cream body, rotate the vise to tie in a small clump of cream hackle fibers on what ends up being the bottom, then rotate the vise back to normal position and tie in a clump of fibers as the wing. There is nothing wrong with the traditional version, just tying preference.
5.) Dark Hendrickson. Tied same as the Light Cahill above. With the grey body and reddish throat fibers it kind of always reminded me of a wet fly version of the beloved adams dry.
6.) Gold Hornberg. I know some people think of this purely as a streamer style pattern, but I highly recommend tying a smaller wet fly version for your box (no need for a 2x-3x long hook, use the standard as I stated at the beginning of my post). There is no need for a tail and stick with a smooth flat tinsel body. For the top wing I use a few fibers of yellow bucktail and a few fibers of yellow marabou on top of the bucktail (it seems to help prop up the marabou a bit, just make sure not to over do the wing with too much material). Instead of the classic silver feathers on the sides, I use the yellowish gold. I can't explain why I have better success with the color change up, but the fish have voted and I don't even bother tying them the classic color. I still use standard grizzly color for the front hackle.
*If I could add an honorary 7.) it would be a gold-ribbed hare's ear wet.

On a side note, I've noticed even small fish striking vehemently at wet flies whether they are being drifted, swinging, or dangling in the current down stream of you (I usually cast quartering upstream so I can fish out all these methods each drift). Keeping this in mind, the size 14 hooks allow me to easily use 4x tippet. I fish some heavily fished waters and the catch rate is still enough to prevent me from going any lighter. I also use an 11ft 4wt rod. The length isn't too fatiguing since I'm not holding my arm up high sticking it all day, but the length is crucial for playing out my above scenario.

Fished the Little Bald Eagle today. Water temperature was 38F. When I noticed a small rise, I tied on a leadwing coachman. I caught 6 and missed 3. With high water and cold water and air temperatures, I was surprised to experience this action.

oops,i forgot to put a wooly worm on my list.

one of the best wet flies there is.

WOW, thanks for all the input!

An excuse to buy more STUFF!

if you tye,all you need for a stweart's black spider is brown thread and a starling skin.oh,and hooks :)

Back