Western Rivers Conservancy...OrvisPodcast...your Thoughts ??

BruceC2C

BruceC2C

Any GravelBar, will do just fine. 365. Fresh&Salt
When I originally saw this on the PodCast feed, I wasn't particularly enthusiastic.

Turns out....I found this very interesting.
on many levels.

I know there r many similar type groups.

Interested to get " speculative feedback"
revealing other side of the picture here.

actions/ work by this and similar groups
that r part of the game,
more covert than obvious,
and maybe not so noble,
that I am likely missing.

All thoughts welcome, pls.

[The Orvis Fly-Fishing Podcast] Saving rivers,
with Western Rivers Conservancy's Sue Doroff #theOrvisFlyFishingPodcast
https://podcastaddict.com/the-orvis-fly-fishing-podcast/episode/169434748 via @PodcastAddict

A conservancy especially for rivers and streams seems like a good idea. I don't know of any conservancy specifically focused on streams in the east.

But many conservancies do benefit streams along with their overall land conservation work. The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy for example.

A conservancy especially for rivers and streams seems like a good idea. I don't know of any conservancy specifically focused on streams in the east.

But many conservancies do benefit streams along with their overall land conservation work. The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy for example.
Agreed.

As an example, just yesterday in a thread a board member was interested in getting info about three Lancaster County streams. I posted info on them from the Lancaster County Conservancy site which is involved in the conservation of all the streams asked about in the thread.

There are a lot of conservancies that do great work in a local area for streams in PA.

I've donated to them since being out west. They buy up retired ranches, usually very large holdings with rivers or streams going through them. Sometimes they partner with others to restore the stream first before transferring title to a state or national entity like the BLM or National Forest Service. They also create or expand access through these purchases. I'll continue donating.

I listened to the podcast prior to these posts and the most important thing this conservancy does is buy the associated water rights with these properties and ensures the water gets put back into the river for the most part.

I think one of the hardest things for folks to do is believe in organizations like this or other noble causes, choose one that matters to you and support their cause, even if you DON'T directly or frequently benefit.

The Central Pennsylvania Conservancy saved the headwaters of the Letort which was enough of a reason for me to join and maintain a membership.

Even though I don't fish the Letort as much as did years ago and I don't exactly live in Central PA, the work they do is important to me versus giving my money to a bunch of fishing clubs or organizations.

True. I forgot that part of it. Water law out west is goofy.
PA water laws are goofy if you ask me.

All water is owned by the public but stream beds are owned by the landowner, unless some guy float a log down it in the 1800's or it's been used for commerce, then it's navigable, then the streambed is not owned by the landowner, we have historic records but won't deem it navigable unless you break the law and fight it, thus proving you didn't break the law, and we won't compile a list for you and compiled lists can be inaccurate.

Back