Western North Carolina Fly Fishing Trail

B

bean

I'll be spending 4 days fishing in North Carolina this weekend and next week, staying in Highlands, and wanted to take full advantage of all the fly fishing opportunities down there. There's a list of streams and rivers detailed on the Western North Carolina Fly Fishing Trail, but I wanted to see if anyone on here has any experience with these, or knows which ones to go for/stay away from. A fly shop in the area said the streams near Highlands are stockie streams with a lot of catching and not a lot of releasing, plus the water doesn't stay very cold, so those are out..

On the way down I'll be driving by and will be stopping to fish the Raven Fork. I'll be doing one day in the Panthertown Valley area hiking for brookies, and was hoping to hit either the Whitewater or Chattooga for some wild browns. Float trips are out, As I like to wade fish with my dog.

I appreciate any help or info y'all might be able to give me. Feel free to PM me if you need to.

You must fish the Nantahala. That is all.

my suggestion, try as many streams that require some effort to fish and are off the beaten path. Some of the name streams are great if they are cold and one fishes them far from the parking lot. The area gets pounded so logic dictates the answer

SBecker- I've looked into the Nantahala a bit, and from what I've read, there are several different sections, the most popular of which gets hit hard by the bait crowd. I also found out that July is when people are allowed to start taking fish so I'm sure there will be a crowd. Any recommendations on which section to focus on?

wgtforward- thanks for the recommendation. The area does get hit hard so I'm perfectly fine with hiking far for better fishing (and solitude). Most of the streams seem to have easy access and I'm in the process of figuring out good sections where I can go to get as far from the access point as possible. Info on water temps down there is a little harder to come by than here in PA so the goal is to find out which streams and rivers get too hot and avoid those.

Just my opinion but, Go south on Rt. 28 out of Highlands, there is a parking lot just south of the bridge on the Chattooga. Fish up stream from there. There is some of the prettiest water I have ever fished there and you can walk for miles in there, all the way to Burrells Ford. I have never fished it this time of year but when I have fished it, was earlier in the spring, or later in the fall, but we have always done well. It is on the Georgia, South Carolina border so you would need a license from either state. I have friends that live on Lake Keowee and have fished it a number of times. One of my favorite places to fish in that part of the country.

Also if you haven't found this http://www.brookingsonline.com/
The fly shop in Cashiers NC

I am jealous ... wish I was going too, love it down there

Hope you allotted two days for Raven fork. The hike in is miserable and maneuvering the stream is like rock climbing. Panthertown is my favorite from that area, fishing gets much better as you hike further in.

Vanorvis- I will be fishing the Chattooga one day, except I had planned to be a little further north than where you're describing. There's a point just above the state line in NC where two feeder streams come in, and apparently there's some good fishing there (in the Chattooga and the streams)

Inefishent- I've got 1.5 days for the Raven Fork actually. I wasn't aware the access was that tough? It looks like there's a road running fairly close to it on one side of the stream along the C&R section. I don't mind rock hopping, I like to think it'll keep away those who don't want to deal with it. As for Panthertown, I'm really looking forward to the brookie fishing there.

IneFishent wrote:
Hope you allotted two days for Raven fork. The hike in is miserable and maneuvering the stream is like rock climbing. Panthertown is my favorite from that area, fishing gets much better as you hike further in.

I believe he is planning to fish outside the park near the Indian lands. I think you are talking about the Upper Raven Fork inside the park (where you hike into the backcountry and camp).

I was in the Smokies last week, and did some research on the streams. From what I've read, the upper Raven Fork is difficult, even dangerous.
Among other advice I read: Never Go Alone. If anything happens, you want a backup to be able to seek help. This is not a place where it's possible to just dial up your cellphone (also the case in most of the southern Appalachains both inside and outside the park, fwiw.)
Another point made was that the upper Raven Fork is prone to flash floods. I'm not sure how anyone copes with that, once they're in a ravine. Flash floods are FAST. As of last week, the park was getting rain showers every day. One good cloudburst like the ones I drove through on I-81 in SW Virginia on Friday and Saturday, and I don't know what I'd do if I were stuck in a river canyon. Ropes and a grappling hook might help. Maybe. Or fish each pool while roped to a rhodo tree 20 ft. up from the bank, ha ha...
It was interesting for me to recollect exactly how wild- and even dangerous- parts of GSNP can be. July 2, a kayaker drowned on the Little Pigeon River; also last week, the body of an experienced hiker missing since June 8 was recovered; June 7, a bear mauled a camper; two hikers had to be rescued in April...things like this happen every year. (Also in 2015: a fatal motorcycle-car collision, and a local kid was found murdered in a church on Park property, stabbed 19 times.)
That may not even be a complete list. Be Careful Out There.

Thanks for the advice,

debbie-downer.jpg

anything I can do to encourage your explorations. Or bean's explorations. I wonder if he's set out on his journey yet.

I'd repeat what I've read about the "big horseshoe" area of Abrams Creek, but the list is too long.

I was mostly in a much easier part of Abrams, only fell in once. But you can do that anywhere, and I usually do. I did fish the bottom of the horseshoe for a little while, where the stream rejoins the trail. Not as scary as parts of the upper Provo, not in that spot anyway. At least the boulders don't give way under your feet.

All that said, things have to be put in perspective: GSMNP got 10 million visitors last year. Things happen.

I figured I'd follow up with a report, so that hopefully it can be of use to anyone who makes their way down there in the future. Thank you to everyone who offered any advice, tips, or information for me, I truly appreciate it. Hopefully this recap can help someone else on this site in the future. This will be a long post, so consider this your warning.

I was down there from last Friday until this past Wednesday, fishing Friday-Tuesday, and staying in Highlands (which is not an ideal home base for what its worth; beautiful town, but a little far removed from the best fishing).

Friday night and all day Saturday I fished the Lower Raven Fork in the C&R Trophy Section. This area is stocked and maintained by the Cherokee Indians and holds very large rainbow trout that are incredibly colored. Everything I read before I went indicated the fish holdover very well there, and the water is very cold and fast-moving with good habitat, so I believe that is true. The water was very cold both days, did not get a stream temp, but fish were actively feeding when I could see them. As someone mentioned above, it rained almost every day there so the water was up and off-color, but it was just enough for the fishing to still be good. I had no issues wading and didn't see any indication that a flash flood would put me in danger. I hooked up with 3-5 fish in the 20"+ range, and got one to the net. I also got a couple in the 15"-18" range as well. No pictures because of a poor net job and not wanting to get my phone soaked but they were incredible fish nonetheless. If you want an idea of how colorful these fish are I recommend you google them and you'll see what I mean. Golden stones, big black streamers, small black wooly buggers, and other assorted streamers were getting strikes and hook-ups. I think they were pretty much eating anything big. They ignored anything smaller than a sz14 hook, but it could have been my presentation. Summary- this stream was incredible, if you make it anywhere near Cherokee, NC you owe it to yourself to fish here. You have to pay for a C&R permit (roughly $30 for 3 days) but I felt it was worth it. They may be stocked but these were hard-fighting and massive trout. As a side-note, the Blue Ridge Parkway (which will drop you off 2 minutes from the river) is worth driving on while down there, it is very scenic and a very fun drive. I took it almost all the way from Asheville, and while it wasn't faster, I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Sunday I fished the Upper Nantahala River (above, which is south of, the Power Plant where they do whitewater releases for the rafting in the Lower portion). This river is designated as wild trout waters and is known to hold wild bows and browns. This was the most blown out water I fished all trip. It poured all day, and I was essentially fishing blown out pocket water in the pouring rain, but at least I had the place to myself. I was moving some fish (all on nymphs in sz16-22), hooking some, but got none to net. I lasted maybe 2 hours before I left. This was an easily accessible river and I wish I could've fished it in better conditions.

Monday I went brookie fishing in Panthertown Valley, and finally had a beautiful sunny day. My mom even came along to enjoy the hiking portion. We were at roughly 3800' of elevation while there, and it was much different than the brookie fishing I've done in PA. Less boulder hopping, more of an actual mountain hike. There were much larger waterfalls there than I'm used to here, which dumped into swimming holes for hikers (affecting the fishing as you can imagine). Water was still a bit up from all the rain, but not too high to fish. The brookies were not eating as often as I'm used to but I managed to get 5-10 in about an hour or two of fishing. This was easy hiking and very accessible, which is probably why there so many people there.

Tuesday was spent on the Chatooga River (where they filmed Deliverance) and the Whitewater River (home to some of the largest falls east of the Rockies). The Chatooga had one of the craziest hikes into a stream I've ever experienced. I took a less travelled trail which involved scaling a mountain and it took about 40 minutes to get to the water. I moved a couple fish there in an hour or so of fishing, but the water was extremely warm and it was very hot out, so I called it early. On the way back up the mountain I got lost and came across a pretty good size rattlesnake. Fortunately, my dog who was with me was able to sniff out the trail, and got us out of there after a long detour. On the way to the Whitewater River I stopped and checked out the falls, these are a site to see. They're almost right on the SC/NC border but still in NC. I fished the Whitewater upstream of the falls and came into the same conditions- hot and warm water. I decided to call it a day and head back.

All in all it was a great trip. If I had to do it over again I would stay further west and spend my time on the Raven Fork and Nantahala. There are more brookie streams out that way as well and there are some other rivers for trout I would check out.

Hope this is useful to somebody, and didn't put anybody to sleep!

bean..nice follow up report.I usually visit a no ff friend in that area in March.
I will make use your post and the other info here to plan my trip so i can fish a few days.

Sounds like a good trip.

As someone mentioned, I was referring to the upper raven fork as difficult to access and forgot entirely about the lower section.

Back