Western, MD

B

Bobert540

I'm heading out to Western, MD on a solo trip to decompress this coming weekend. The weather looks like it will be cooler than it has been but I fished in the snow this year so it can't be that bad. I will be staying around the deep creek lake area.

Does anyone have any recommendations if I should spend my time more on the savage or casselman?

Are there any reputable local fly shops?

Thanks in advance!

Depending on flows either savage casselman or the north branch of the Potomac can be good this time of year. The Savage is mostly wild Browns and Brooks where the other 2 are stocked rainbows. As for fly shops the best has to be Early Rise flies in Cumberland ,great guys that will really help you out. If you have any questions just pm me I'm from the area and can do my best to help you have a good time.

I am heading out to Western MD the 3rd weekend in May so I am also interested to hear what is said about the fishing out there this time of year. Planning to hit the Savage and North Branch but want to explore and find a lesser known wild brown trout stream, if possible.

Last fall was my first time out there and I had good luck on the Savage and Casseleman. PM me if you want a tip on a cool, scenic stream with brookies.

Edit: Savage River outfitters is right on Savage river rd. and I have been told that's a good shop. Haven't been myself but I will this time around.

It a scheduled whitewater weekend on the North Branch, so the Savage might be pretty busy. Be sure to take a wading staff - wading in the Savage is as difficult as you'll find anywhere. Trust me on that one. Remember that felt soles are not allowed in MD, and there is Didymo in the Savage, so clean your gear afterwards.

Despite all of that, its a beautiful area and I love fishing out there. Here's a link to see what the flows will be:

http://www.nab-wc.usace.army.mil/northBranch.html

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Wow, thank you all so much for the help! I will be fishing saturday and a little sunday so I will be trying to cover as much water as I can. I am going to explore the area a bit as well saturday just to check out the lake and surrounding state parks.

I have sent PM's out as well.

I'm looking forward to exploring a new area. Thank you all again!

Some good advice from CodorusTUTom.

Western MD is a wonderful area and right up there in the same league with north central PA for fishing quality IMO.

CodorusTUTom wrote:
It a scheduled whitewater weekend on the North Branch, so the Savage might be pretty busy. Be sure to take a wading staff - wading in the Savage is as difficult as you'll find anywhere. Trust me on that one. Remember that felt soles are not allowed in MD, and there is Didymo in the Savage, so clean your gear afterwards.

Despite all of that, its a beautiful area and I love fishing out there. Here's a link to see what the flows will be:

http://www.nab-wc.usace.army.mil/northBranch.html

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

I appreciate the heads up on the WW weekend. With the temps forecast, I am glad I am not going WW rafting! I have never used felt soles so I am good to go. I will be sure to clean my gear thoroughly.

I am looking forward to enjoying the scenery and hopefully landing a few fish.

I will most likely be hitting the smaller streams if the savage is crowded.

Fishidiot wrote:
Some good advice from CodorusTUTom.

Western MD is a wonderful area and right up there in the same league with north central PA for fishing quality IMO.

I am looking forward to checking it out. I would love to hook into some big wild browns but I will be ok with any fish at this point. Looking forward to exploring this weekend.

Savage over Casselman...work in some NB if it's not blown out. It's a good float too

Back