West Yellowstone MT

C

chromid

Pulled the trigger today on a trip to West Yellowstone. Have fished most of the hot spots in YNP (northeast, south, north) but not too much in the Madison drainage. Will be going out Aug 23-30 and was looking to see if anyone had some first hand knowledge of the drainage, recommendations, or other info both in and out of the park.

Since it is in Montana, I think the spot burning regulations of the site can be waived....

Been a few years for me and my experience is limited.

This section of YNP is better known for BT and RT than cuts and I think the fishing is much more challenging than what one finds in the other areas of the park with mainly cuts.

Late Aug is probably too early for lake run fish coming up the Madison. The lower M near the boundary of the park and several miles up into it gets a nice run of big fish in the fall - they were there when I was there in mid Sep but Aug is early. If they're there, they like big streamers. There are some sections (or used to be) of the M that are closed to fishing. Hoppers and big stonefly nymphs are the traditional go-to flies for lower M. This section will likely be crowded so early mornings would probably be best.

Firehole may be on the warm side around the geyser basin (take temps). Obviously, it's YNP so you never know about weather - might be cold. Moving up up into the Gibbon should be colder. Nez Perce Creek did not treat me well last time I was there. Cascade Lake or some of the other small lakes in the watershed (Grebe etc) might treat you well, maybe even a grayling, but they didn't treat me well when I fished 'em. Nevertheless, they're a fun hike.

After all, it's YNP - if the fishing is off, it's not as if there aren't a million other fun things to see and do.

Like Fishidiot mentioned, the Firehole and Madison in the park may or may not be too warm to fish. It would not be out of the question to have a couple cool days in that time frame to drop the temps to fishable levels. Who knows could always get snow. The Gibbon is generally cooler so may be okay. Feeders like Nez Pierce and the Little Firehole stay cold. These normally have smaller fish but if its warm the lower ends will harbor larger Firehole trout escaping the heat.

The Gallatin inside and outside the park would be a good option. The Gallatin also has some good tributaries that offer small stream fishing with solitude (and grizzlies).

The Yellowstone in the park will be fishing well. Hiking into one of the canyon sections would be worth it if you have not done so already. I hiked 5 miles into the Black Canyon for an overnight trip last summer and didn't encounter another fisherman.

Hoppers on the Madison outside the park, below Hebgen should be in full swing. Its about a half hour drive from West. You could also hit the Henry's Fork in about 45 mintues.

Finally I will plug Nate Schweber's book Fly Fishing Yellowstone National Park: An Insider's Guide to the 50 Best Places. Not your dry fishing guide. Gives you a rundown on the fish and hatches you can expect, but also tells a story about what makes each place unique and worth visiting.

Ditto on what the other guys said. I strongly recommend carrying bear spray if you're going to hit the Gallatin or its tributaries even within sight of the highway, Also...

You might consider west of the park. You can rent a boat on Hebgen Lake if the gulpers are still working - a lot of fun with big fish. You could wade fish the Madison between Hebgen and Quake Lake, near $3 dollar bridge or book a float trip out of Slide Inn.

Distances don't seem to mean much out there so a couple of hours west is Twin Bridges, a good jumping off point for blue ribbon streams like the Beaverhead, Big Hole, Jefferson and Ruby. 4Rivers Fishing is a good shop for information or to book a guided trip.

Have fun!

I recommend getting the maps of Yellowstone from Trail Illustrated National Geographic.

Then using those maps to explore lesser known streams.

You don't have to backpack. You can just day hike away from the road, fish, then hike back out.

Give these folks a shout. Good people and always willing to share information............

http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/

I second the contact with Blue Ribbon Flies. Craig Matthews is a great resource and a really good guy.

If you want to expedience a small freestone stream like some Pennsylvania streams, I suggest the Gibbon just below the Virginia Cascades. When last I fished it was all alone, all day. The fish were small but willing and I caught cuts, rainbows, rainbow/cut hybrids, brookies and grayling.

You might also be interested in the West Branch of the Madison. On the Madison you might try fishing above the Three Dollar Bridge. For some decent cuts you can try Slough Creek. There is lots of water and you can't really go wrong.

The week that you are going is somewhat in between some of the better fishing, in my opinion. If I had a choice, I would wait until nearer to the end of September, or early October, and fish for run up Browns coming out of Hebgen into the Madison.

Anyway, I second the suggestions already made to check in with Craig Matthews for up to date info when you arrive.

I am over on the Yellowstone, just north of the Park, and we hope to still have some good hopper fishing that time of the year, and are beginning to throw big streamrers for oversized Browns (or, that is what we hope for anyway).

Good luck.

John

P.S. I was originally from NW PA myself (Warren County).

I know I'm in the minority on this topic, but I was extremely disappointed in my trip to West Yellowstone last year. We didn't get to fish the Yellowstone R. because of the stupid government shutdown, and the other rivers west of there don't have natives. Plus there are just to many people gawking at fishermen.

go high-August was my least favorite month when I lived in Montana-if you could push your time back to mid sept.. do so---awesome diff in a month as the browns start thinking about love and are on the move-stirring up the the rivers but its still early and late day fishing if you hope to hit some trophy trout...
if you are locked in to those dates then think high country-get a guides advice---
also if you are game for night fishing[outside the park]the upper Madison can be hotter than hades[even fishing near the campgrounds] as the flatlanders will be snoring away blissfully unaware they are missing out on 30 or 40 nice ones compared to the daytime dinks.
If you go for the nite fishing,wade downstream targeting ledges current breaks etc.. fishing wet fly style,cover long distances looking for the holding spots and 6 or 8s are about right-have fun...

Back