West Branch Brandywine River – Chester County, Stroud Preserve, 7/17/2014

Berks

Berks

Made it out yesterday morning and fished the Stroud Preserve area for a couple of hours in the morning. Air temp was 72, water temp was 70, mostly sunny with a very light breeze. Water was fairly clear with about 3’ visibility. Very little kayak and tuber traffic which was nice as I was wading. This section is easily waded, with a fairly flat bottom with some larger boulders and some deeper sections that were over waist deep.

Very little surface activity which surprised me as there’s tons of overhanging trees.

I tried a few different patterns but had the most luck with a #6 crayfish fished in the deeper sections. Saw tons of small SMB but nothing over 8”. Ended up with about 10 SMB, 20 sunfish, and a nice 13” fallfish.

Pretty much a typical SE PA warmwater outing for me targeting SMB….a lot of fish, but nothing of any size. And so the search continues.

The Schuylkill R, Conestoga R, and lower Cocalico Creek are all good near-by choices for larger SMB if you live in Berks Co

Quick correction, Stroud preserve is on the east branch. Sorry, grew up fishing the east branch so I can't let it go ;-)

Gotcha, my bad.
Maybe one of the mods can make the correction.

I fished a little downstream of the Preserve this afternoon. Wanted to get out during the week to avoid the canoes and tubes. Fished hoppers the whole time. Results about the same as you did yesterday, 20 or so sunfish, half a dozen fallfish, but only 1 smallie. I did see what had to be an 18 inch large mouth cruise right past me about 5 minutes after I hit the water. I couldn't believe it.

Nice job Berks. I was out on the East Branch last night. Fished upstream of the preserve, I believe at the parking lot at Ingrams Mill. I caught a couple SMB on a green woolly bugger, and a few sunnies on a clouser minnow. Still learning this bass thing, so my success rate isnt the best. Some nice water up beyond the reserve.

Keep looking, East or West branch has some gems that pull hard.

IMGP2644_zps06caa137.jpg

IMGP2646_zps1c565fa2.jpg

Back