Went Exploring

jifigz

jifigz

Today, I had a few hours to squeeze in a trip to a stream that I've been meaning to check out more. I've only fished it once in the past, so today was really only the second attempt at fishing it. The was conditions were perfect. I tried to take a temp, but I couldn't find my thermometer. I think I might have left it laying in Kettle Creek. Whoops.

Anyways, I found exactly what I wanted to find, and that was willing wild brown trout who wanted to eat a woolly bugger. This little stream had some impressive structure, but it also had some garbage. The spot where I quit was beautiful, though. It had two inlets separated by a small island. It had depth. The water was cold. I landed two from that spot and lost another fish. There were a few places where I could picture hogs laying. There were places I could see Dusty Rhodes pulling out a 20"er on a spinner. I'm intrigued enough to explore it more.

I love Pennsylvania.

Great day! Water color looks perfect for streamers.

Certainly agree about PA. Fortunate to have so much water to explore to keep things exciting.

sweet, pretty jealous here. my closest real trout fishing are hours away.

Nice holes but looks like Lancaster County Chub water!

The raw embankment with shrubs behind is suggestive of some streams that I have surveyed in the past. During the survey I discovered that were formerly impounded by mill dams. The raw banks were where the stream had gradually cut down through the legacy sediments. Two of those streams were Class A BT within those former impoundments (an unnamed trib to Tulpehocken, , Berks Co and an unnamed trib to Ontelaunee Ck, Lehigh Co.). I’ve also run into that on some other wild BT streams, but they were not Class A. One can often find the remnants of the dams in the form of stone walls or a clearly man-arranged, 3 ft wide band of rocks in the adjacent overgrown riparian area.

The raw embankment with shrubs behind is suggestive of some streams that I have surveyed in the past. During the survey I discovered that were formerly impounded by mill dams. The raw banks were where the stream had gradually cut down through the legacy sediments. Two of those streams were Class A BT within those former impoundments (an unnamed trib to Tulpehocken, , Berks Co and an unnamed trib to Ontelaunee Ck, Lehigh Co.). I’ve also run into that on some other wild BT streams, but they were not Class A. One can often find the remnants of the dams in the form of stone walls or a clearly man-arranged, 3 ft wide band of rocks in the adjacent overgrown riparian area.
So you think that is the number one cause for banks like that? Some sort of previous dam on the stream?

So you think that is the number one cause for banks like that? Some sort of previous dam on the stream?
Not always, but always a possibility in Pa, home of an extraordinary number of current and past mill dams, sometimes in such quantity on any given stream such that the impoundments of one dam backed up to the next dam upstream, and so on.

Nice holes but looks like Lancaster County Chub water!
Maybe it is Lancaster County chub water.....maybe the pics of the browns are totally unrelated to the pics of the stream.....maybe this post, and all of life, is nothing but a lie.......

To be clear I wasn't questioning it. Just looked like some of the streams we see down in the Lancaster area. It also looks different from the other streams you usually post. Lowland opposed to mountain. We see the legacy sediment from mill dams here as well. Even more. Always surprising what turns up in unexpected places and we have seen some of this in our area. Is there any limestone influence in this stream or tribs with wild trout?

To be clear I wasn't questioning it. Just looked like some of the streams we see down in the Lancaster area. It also looks different from the other streams you usually post. Lowland opposed to mountain. We see the legacy sediment from mill dams here as well. Even more. Always surprising what turns up in unexpected places and we have seen some of this in our area. Is there any limestone influence in this stream or tribs with wild trout?
I know you weren't questioning. I'm just being a goof.

Great looking creek. Love the woody debris. Big brown magnet

Back