Well that escalted quickly- warm water flies

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I stopped by field and stream on the way home from work on Friday night. I wanted to pick up some fish masks and bucktail, and see if I could tie some of the warm water flies Ive been watching videos on. I really want to learn musky flies but figured that I would be better off tying bass size patterns, instead of musky to practice the techniques.

Here is what I came up with. Warm water tying is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. The patterns are pretty cool, and pretty much all of this stuff is new to me.

I didn't buy the loon UV Resin stuff though. I am not sure what one I should get, so I figured I would ask you guys first.

The heads and nose area were secured with ZAP instead. Any insight on what uv resin to pick up would be appreciated.

I still have a world of learning to do. Im going to pick up a bunch of different colors of bucktail and such.

If you haven't tried these big bass and pike flies, I suggest it. A lot of fun to mess with and you get humbled real quick. :)

Attachments

• bass1.jpg
    bass1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 9
  • bass2.jpg
    bass2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 3
  • bass3.jpg
    bass3.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 2
  • bass4.jpg
    bass4.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 2
  • bass6.jpg
    bass6.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 2
  • bass7.jpg
    bass7.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 4
  • bass8.jpg
    bass8.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 2
  • bass9.jpg
    bass9.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 2
they look awesome! I am pumped to start tying up some bass flies very soon. I've been a streamer junky for a while, and these look FUN!

It's quite the adjustment but I'm having a ball!

Time for you to spin some deer hair and make a mess.

I have been using the loon resin. I bought a combo pack that has the three types of resin they sell, applicator tips, and the flash light. It has worked well so far.

I was told to use a super glue or gel super glue to secure the fish skull masks which is pretty much what zap a gap is.

You should tie up a double deceiver.

mike_richardson wrote:

I'm assuming you are planning to fish for WW fish this year with your new flies? Perhaps you've been fishing bass and WW suff all along.

However, if not....

Come on over and join us insurgents on the dark side young man.
Once you go smallmouth bass, yuh never go back. :cool:

Mike, they all look really great. Would love to see on in yellow and orange. You know bluegill and perch colors.

GenCon

Awesome flies. I am starting to fish for bass more and want to tie more bass flies. The few flies I can tie, all seem to be firetiger color combinations.

EDIT: The bottom fly is definitely my favorite.

Thanks guys. I am ordering in a bunch of different colored buck tails, and big hooks. Going to so with Partidge universal predator I believe. I just bout the Hunting Musky on the fly book, and cant wait for its arrival.

These big flies will come but I need to get the processes down on these bass sized flies first. I don't want to waste the material on a 12" Long Musky Fly.

And yes I am going to be fishing these things. I am kind of burned out on trout and want to try something new.

I tried bass fishing last year with spinning gear, and bought a bait caster. Yeah the bait caster is just not for me. LOL

I have access to some pretty nice bass waters, and my parents have a camp on a lake with a decent musky, and pike population so Ill definitely be giving warm water a try. For now though just playing with the new practices in tying, and such.

Yes join the warm side of the force

Dave_W wrote:
mike_richardson wrote:

I'm assuming you are planning to fish for WW fish this year with your new flies? Perhaps you've been fishing bass and WW suff all along.

However, if not....

^+1...ascendo tuum trouts

Attachments

• WWI.jpg
    WWI.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 4
Fredrick wrote:
Yes join the warm side of the force

Dave_W wrote:
mike_richardson wrote:

However, if not....

^+1...ascendo tuum trouts

That logo needs put on a shirt.

I have a feeling I will be joining this the WWI team here after turkey season. LOL

I asked my wife to get me the larger Loon UV light for Christmas. They are pretty pricey and I would never of bought it for myself. I use the tubes of Loon Knot Sense for my UV material. I think the price is reasonable compared to the tubes of UV material I see for sale at F&S and Bass Pro.

I bought a Bondic kit that came with two cartridges of UV material and a built in UV light on the opposite end of the applicator. That is what I started with. When I ran out of UV material in the Bondic cartridge I unscrewed the front and filled the cartridge up with the Loon Knot Sense. The applicator end of the Bondic cartridge is a very small diameter. The opening is only about 1/32". It is great for building heads on small nymph and streamers as well as some larger heads.

https://www.thegrommet.com/bondicstarter-kit

Thanks,

I just placed my order yesterday and got the loon and light, but will definetly check it out.

Are the OP flies tube flies? I can't see any hooks.

No these are tied on 1/0 mustad hooks The hooks are black as well.

Back