• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

48654010012_c31916b779_b.jpg

48654008737_75fb43c386_b.jpg

48653862806_2f4dd11b0e_b.jpg

48654010287_e71c6ebdff_b.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics. I was shaking kinda badly.
Burned in the brain,ill never forget this morning.

Quite the catch and release. Congrats. GG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLeCB7Kn-VE

Well, Sal, if you wouldn't have been shaking, you may as well have taken up golf or bowling.

Ha! Suppose you're right.

This particular fish crushed a brown sex dungeon and ran around the upstream deep pool. After a little the fish was scrapping the bottom with its face trying to get the fly out. Each time i lifted it off the bottom. It leaped out completely 3 times. Then it bulldogged its way upstream. I was already in up to my hips and couldnt follow the fish with out goung over my head. Each time it bulldogged it went upstream 2 feet and i only reeled in 1 foot. The fish was winning.

Luckily i was using 12lb bonefish abrasion resistant leader. I just started walking backwards as i reeled in. Now i was gaining on the fish.

Almost spooled me. I was able to beach the monster in some shallows for some quick pics before it decided to mosey on downstream like a carp.

Surreal experience.

By my rod estimates somewhere in the 26" range but the fish had girth like a fat carp . very well fed and not summer stressed in the bit.

Hella fish Sal. This beer is for you :)

Great trout. Even better release photo.

Question ---> Looks like you're using a switch rod? If so, that stream looks small for a switch or no? Just curious what kind of rod and why you chose it for that stream.

Thanks guys i was very blessed today.
Great question.
Keep in mind im not a conventional angler.

The Hardy Graphite De Luxe in higher line weights and lengths was designed for light salmon and sea trout runs.

Mine is a 11' 3pc 7/8wt. In flexes like an old orvis graphite. Very delicate but has power too. Because of the deep flexing action it protects tippets well on devastating streamer bites. It also roll casts a countrymile in my hands with the flex and added weight.

The main reason is spring creeks are often in meadows with tall weeds and grasses. I can dap and dip across the stream to undercuts with out even casting .and dealing with trees like in the woods.
I can skip corners and fish for fish that cant see me because the rod is so long.
It also goes over tall weeds with ease.
Its perfect for spring creeks, it was designed to fish them!

It does cast a 7 or 8 but does so while feeling like a 5 but with the power of a full flex 7wt.

It casts sink tips well too.
The fighting butt/ handle helps in casting fatigue when smallie fishing and fish fighting fatigue on my arm.

Its a streamer machine .
Love this rod! YMMV

Nice catch and release. Those are the best kind of fish pics too. You know that one survived.

Back