weights

P

pinecroftal

I was wondering what type of weights you guys use while nymph fishing. i have been using small micro round weights but they are impossible to remove from my leader to reduce weight.I try to change weight a lot from hole to hole and it is very frusrating.Al

Forceps or even full blown pliers are the ticket for removing weight. Just crush the weight in the jaws of the forceps with the slit facign one of the jaws and they will come off fairly easily. Sometimes a little prying with the forceps and your fingernail is needed but its about the best way to do it.

Don't worry about trying to save and reuse split shot. That's a losing battle.

For the record, I strongly prefer Black Bird and Super Doux split shot depending on size of shot being used. Black bird for size 4 or larger, SD for smaller stuff. It might seem like all split shot should be roughly equal, but these two brands are the best IMO. They aren't too hard or brittle, yet they aren't too soft and grip the leader well.

in contrast, I really hate the green coated Dinsmore shot.

I have a different approach than pennkev, I reuse the same weights over and over. One you shut and open a weight back up they become very manageable to remove by my fingernail. If I have a new weight or one that is stuck I use my nippers(not nice ones) to open it, works like a charm. I prefer the camo weight.

I use Water Gremlin split shot > lead shot with ears in size B & BB (the smallest 2 sizes on the left in the pic). Easy on, easy off and small when compared to tin shot...and cheap.

Instead of messing with micro shot to add a small amount of weight, I use tungsten putty and roll it on the tippet > think spaghetti not a football. I pinch off or add more to adjust weight.

Attachments

• Water Gremlin Splitshot.jpg
    Water Gremlin Splitshot.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 7
Thank for all the input folks,I will try all the input you guys have given
I have fished for years but this is my first year of fly fishing.I rented a instructor in Apriland started catching fish immediately on Spring Creek and little J.I just need to keep learning.

I use the super doux micro shot especially this time of year when my standard water gremlin shot that afish uses is too much weight for the low flows. I have Dr Slick forceps that have a needle point built in that makes removing the micro shot quick and easy. I reuse the water gremlin but not the micro shot.

nomad_archer wrote:
I use the super doux micro shot especially this time of year when my standard water gremlin shot that afish uses is too much weight for the low flows. I have Dr Slick forceps that have a needle point built in that makes removing the micro shot quick and easy. I reuse the water gremlin but not the micro shot.

Water Gremlin > deeper and faster water

Tungsten Putty > shallow and slower water.

With TP you can add, subtract or remove in seconds without fussing with micros.

If yer on tha crick with Tom and ya need sinkers, just ask, he'll get his bag out for ya. He also carries extra forked sticks too.

Seriously tho, when you wanna get down in a hurry they are the way to go. But the "ears" tend to twist your line like a corkscrew if fishing buggers or stripping streamers. I have also broken a rod when a group of those buggers slammed into the butt section.

Put me in the category that fusses with microshot. If I think I need three of a size, I get out five cause two are going into the drink.

Maurice wrote:
If yer on tha crick with Tom and ya need sinkers, just ask, he'll get his bag out for ya. He also carries extra forked sticks too.

Seriously tho, when you wanna get down in a hurry they are the way to go. But the "ears" tend to twist your line like a corkscrew if fishing buggers or stripping streamers. I have also broken a rod when a group of those buggers slammed into the butt section.

Put me in the category that fusses with microshot. If I think I need three of a size, I get out five cause two are going into the drink.

When I was young and had no clue how much weight to put on that was my method. Take out 5 shots and however many made it onto the tippet was the right amount of weight.

Another vote for water gremlins. I start with 2. Then remove 1 or add 1 as needed. Saves alot of time messing with weights. If I can save and reuse I do but I dont fuss about it.

Tigereye wrote:
Another vote for water gremlins. I start with 2. Then remove 1 or add 1 as needed. Saves alot of time messing with weights. If I can save and reuse I do but I dont fuss about it.

Yeah, no muss or fuss. Been using them for decades and never had any issue with them.

^Guys that claim they spin on their line should learn to cast... :roll:

Try deep soft weight putty. easy to put on and take off

I am firmly in the Water Gremlin camp as well. Cheap, ubiquitous, and they get the job done. What's not to love?

Back