Weighted fly identification

flyfisherman22

flyfisherman22

Hey guys,

I wanted to get some ideas of how you guys differentiate between differently weighted flies that you have in your fly box. i have heard/seen some people using different colored thread collars to differentiate between differently weighted flies, but since i am slightly color blind it would have to be an obnoxious difference in thread color. i was just looking for some ideas, without having separate fly boxes (already carry to many). Thanks

I use light wire hooks for all of my unweighted nymphs. Weighted nymphs get heavy wire hooks and/or beads.

Tiogadog, I am meaning towards a system that lets the person know how much weight you put on the fly while tying it. ex would be like black thread = 5 wraps, yellow thread = 10 wraps etc... just looking for other ideas since the colors would be way to bright since im partially color blind.

Flyfisherman, what colors dont you recognize? im curious because you can use the ones you can see

Just change the pattern slightly. Different material for tail, shell back, etc. If you can't figure out color, then change something else that wont effect the pattern, but let you differentiate it.

IMO it's either weighted or not weighted. The difference between 5 wraps on one and 10 on another isn't going to effect the fly that much.

I can see all colors if they stand alone, but in order to tell a dark shade vs lighter shade of same color is almost impossible to me.

ryguy, i thought about doing something like that just not sure how much it would affect its "fishiness" ha. but i think im going to give it a shot along with possibly trying different thread collars.

Use turkey instead of pheasant for wing case, or a grizzly or barred tail material instead of a solid color. Simple changes like that shouldn't effect the fishiness of the pattern, but will be easy to decipher.

tinsle verses wire 4 rib

I have a adopted a system with flashabou in the tails. Red means lead.

JH

Back