Weight adjustment when nymphing

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
As in the video, I use split-shot and tungsten putty together all the time to adjust my weight when nymphing. Great video by George Daniel explaining why and how to do this >

In addition to putty and lead, slipping a countersunk tungsten bead on is an underappreciated tool, especially on big water with smaller bugs. Few if any tangles, and the countersink hole slides over the clinch knot and may even stay in place with larger tippet sizes.

My issue has been that the perdigons and bed-head nymphs are often too heavy for streams like Spring Creek when flows are too low. They keep hanging up on the bottom.

My issue has been that the perdigons and bed-head nymphs are often too heavy for streams like Spring Creek when flows are too low. They keep hanging up on the bottom.
I do not get to plan my fishing time around stream conditions, so I tie a lot of unweighted, traditional nymphs for this reason (and I just think they look better). By traditional I mean with legs and fuzzy dubbing so they do not sink fast. I use #6,4 and 1 split shot to lightly sink them. I never tried the putty but I think I am going to get some.

I do tie a decent selection of tungsten bead nymphs, but like you I find them too heavy for low water conditions.

Back