Weekend Trip Recommendations

Geno28

Geno28

I wanted to get some opinions on a day trip this weekend. I am from Michigan but go to school in Philadelphia. I am looking to get away from the city and crowds of some of the local trout streams. I have been leaning towards Central PA to maybe hit Penns and some tributaries but would be open to any suggestions a bit closer like Poconos. Obviously not looking for any secret spots, just curious if it is worth the 3 hr drive to avoid the crowds and city. Appreciate any help.

Spring Creek can be somewhat reliable in the winter. However the fish tend to be smaller size than Penns. Big fishing creek is also another central PA option. All 3 of these can get busy, but not normally in the winter unless its an usually warm day.

Geno28 wrote:
...just curious if it is worth the 3 hr drive to avoid the crowds and city. Appreciate any help.

I think it would be worth it.

Water levels and conditions across central PA are pretty good right now for the standards of mid-January. I'll second Centre Co. etc. Can't say you'll avoid crowds (fishing pressure is pretty high right now in the Cumberland Valley on weekends - everybody has cabin fever) but, again, this is relative.

With forecasters calling for colder weather later this month, I'd take the trip while things are good.

FWIW, the forecasted highs in the Poconos this weekend are in the low 20’s. The State College area is at least upper 20’s or low 30’s. That would be enough alone to point me toward central PA.

I like fishing in Winter, but I generally try to do it on days in the upper 30’s or better, but when you have the itch to get out in my experience, it’s better to scratch it and be cold than to sit on the couch. Still, the forecast suggests central PA is a better option this weekend.

I’ve fished every weekend since Christmas, but I think I’m gonna sit this one out. Good luck if you get out.

West Branch of the Delaware. I'm from Media outside of Philly and have the same dilemma... long drive to central PA or the West Branch. Both are great, but wanted to mention the West Branch of the Delaware in case you weren't familiar with it.

I appreciate the feedback. It seems like Central PA is the move for this weekend. KELORGO, the West Branch of the Deleware is definitely on my radar for future trips.

Save your money and visit the Lehigh Valley to fish the Little Lehigh Parkway in Emmaus and Allentown, The Saucon in Bethlehem, The Bushlill in Easton or the Lehigh River somewhere around Walnutport.
If you want a small wild trout stream fish Martin's creek a few miles north of Easton, north or the town of Martins Creek. These are straight up the turnpike from Philly.

Ain't this is one great state.

+1 on Baron.

For fishing this weekend, I'd fish Northampton/Lehigh county streams. All streams mentioned by Baron.

I wouldn't drive all the way to State College from Philly to fish in cold weather. Penn's is always colder than the actual temperature in State College. YMMV.

I thought about heading up that way, but in my limited experiences fishing the Lehigh and Little Lehigh, there tends to be a lot of crowds and busy sections. I guess I'll have to do more research on some of the streams mentioned above and other wild trout streams in the area.

+1 on the Lehigh Valley. Plenty of fishable water in that area over the winter months.

If you haven't picked up Henry Ramsay's book, you must. It's a treasure trove of information on where to fish in PA!

I bet more people are fishing penns this weekend than the wiss.
You can always find an empty spot on valley .

Its pretty cold this weekend but if I were to fish in PA this weekend it would be the Cumberland Valley. Closer than Centre County I believe and probably a little warmer. Tougher fishing though.

Conditions for wb of delaware are pretty poor for wading right now if you ask me. You're going to be standing in fast, deep, 35 degree water fishing for lethargic trout. Not something I'd travel from Philly for. I'll be in that area tomorrow and fri and there is a 0 percent chance infisb.

Little Lehigh is hard to beat in winter as is Bushkill.
It is unlikely there will be much pressure now.

I was at little Lehigh last week. Unfortunately no rod, but I was feeding trout, some very nice size browns with snow balls. They were not very pressured. Were coming up and wacking small pieces of snow I was throwing in. Of course I was saying if only I had a rod!!! In reality I probably would not have caught a fish.

I agree regarding the Lehigh Valley. It will be warmer and the winter fishing is not all that different from what you will find in central Pa. You'll spend less time driving and more time fishing. If you find crowding in the special reg area located within the Allentown city park, just go upstream a half mile to 3/4 mile. You will generally have almost all of that water to yourself and there are plenty of wild browns in that stretch. Most people fishing the Ltl Lehigh at this time of the year are hung up on the C&R areas. It always makes me chuckle because there are so many other good fishing spots on the Ltl Lehigh for wild trout or a mix of wild and stocked trout from near the headwaters down to and including Allentown. There are some dud stretches too; you just have to explore. And some of the limestone tributaries have outstanding brown trout populations as well.

I also agree with the suggestions for the Lehigh Valley. I grew up fishing the LL and it's tough to beat if you're driving from Philly. Monocacy in Bethlehem fishes very well in the Winter. I also used to fish Cedar Creek and Trout Creek within Trout Creek Park in Allentown. Closer to Philly, I'll also throw out Cooks Creek in Bucks County as that is a very good and underutilized fishery. There are some posted sections, but there's open water there, and where you can get in, there are wild browns and occasional wild brookies. Good luck

Wild_Trouter wrote:
I also used to fish Cedar Creek and Trout Creek within Trout Creek Park in Allentown.

Cedar's a good one. It doesn't give up its jewels easily, which makes success all that much more rewarding!

wow this has been a fairly diverse set of responses, pretty cool. My vote is penn's just for amount of water, camping availability, and good fish but like others have said LL is closer and might fish better

There is also the Tup. Maybe Outsider will comment. I don't fish for trout much but the Tup seems nice, perhaps busier.

Back