Weather for this Year's Spring Jam

mattwolf

mattwolf

The company I work for uses a long term weather forecasting sevince operated by Herb Stevens. Some of you may know him as the Skiing Weather Man. His forcasts are extremely accurate and here is what he has to say about this upcoming weekend at the Jam.

[color=003399]Right now it looks pretty quiet out there next weekend. A weak cool front could set off scattered showers on Friday, but that looks very much hit or miss. High pressure will move in for the weekend and bring pretty nice weather…that is the way it looks right now. Low 70’s by day, upper 40’s/low 50’s at night.[/color]

thanks!!! I've been checking accuweather everyday and it basically says the same thing, just a chance of a shower.
regardless, I've had fun during the sunny ones, and during the monsoon ones!

Yeah, the weekend looks good, at least Saturday. More concern about Wed./Thurs. for me. I'll be up there early. And weather those days will set up the stream conditions for the weekend.

Last weekends rains weren't quite as bad as feared. Nonetheless, they got some rain. Streams look to be in ok shape but it wouldn't take a whole lot to put em off.

Today and tomorrow clear. Wed-Fri look like scattered thunderstorms. Wed. looking the worst/most likely. They will be of the scattered type, though, where it's likely somewhere gets POUNDED and somewhere fairly nearby gets very little if any. Exact placing is virtually impossible to predict, it's just where those cells set up. So about all you can do is take a wait and see approach, play it by ear. For the weekend, some streams could be in prime shape while others are blown out. Don't set your fishing plans in stone.

That said, it's late May. This is normal. If, 4 months ago, you'd have given this scenario to me I'd take it in a heartbeat! Playing it by ear is part of fishing....

Yep.
Last year's jam saw clear weather over the weekend (in fact it was extremely bright on Saturday) but many of the streams were blown or, at best, high and stained due to thunderstorms the previous days.

It does appear that those of us who are tent camping ought to consider an extra blanket. :-o

eh, tonight will be downright cold, tomorrow night cool. But after that the nights don't look too bad. Lows from 50-60 from Wednesday night throught eh weekend.

We had snow flakes here yesterday in some locations.

Compare (weather channel feed from Yahoo! for Coburn, PA):

Also, to plan accordingly:

Twi A: 4:00am
Twi: 5:22am
Sunrise: 5:53am
Solar noon: 1:08pm
Sunset: 8:22pm
Twi: 8:53pm
Twi A: 10:16pm
Moonrise: 11:26am
Moonset: 12:43am

Twi A: 3:59am