WB Delaware Wading Access

luke_m

luke_m

I have a relatively simple question that is surprisingly hard to find an answer to online. I am hoping to make a day trip to the WB of the Upper Delaware on the PA/NY border and am wondering where I can legally park to then hike around and wade fish. Perhaps too many people are in the know and there is a simple answer to this question (drive this road and look for pulloffs etc.). I'm assuming this isn't any sort of secret.

Anywhere I can start would be great. I'm happy to wade and hike to good water. Looking forward to my first visit to this popular spot and I'm hoping to tie into some solid wild trout.

Tips on productive flies right now would also be appreciated but not necessary. I'm going to bring my 9ft 6wt, some long 5X leaders and every fly I've got.

Bump as I'm looking to make the pilgrimage also

Shehawken launch along 191. While there stop in at Whitetail Country fly shop for advice

191 bridge - there is a parking area on the NY side

On the PA side before crossing the bridge take Winterdale road to Penn York rd. to Balls Eddy launch.

Continue on Penn York rd into the state game lands. There are 2 parking areas with paths leading down to the river.

I'm sure I missed a spot or two...

Have a grand total of one trip up there. Some good advice in this thread already. Easy access below the Deposit bridge. “Indian Country” has a big parking area. Think you will need to stay up river to have cold water. Nymphs like pheasant tail and Caddis should work. Sulphurs on top. Check out Troutfitter in Deposit NY. Here is a blog I follow. https://www.cnytroutfitter.com/blogs/angler-119s-delaware-river-fishing-report/an-info-exchange

There are plenty of places to park on the NY and PA side of the river. Pretty much anywhere you could pull over without a posted sign. Maps 1 and 2 are relevant on this link. https://pdf4pro.com/view/public-fishing-rights-maps-west-branch-of-the-delaware-river-5babfa.html

You can probably Google PA spots too. Right now fishing is probably best from hale eddy to the cannonsville reservoir. I think you need a ny license to fish this section. If you have a pa license only there still good water downstream. Don't be afraid to Walk, there is more water that holds fish than doesnt hold fish.

Anywhere from deposit to Buckingham should be safe to fish based on the cooler evening temps which will help tremendously. If you venture out on the main, just keep an eye on the temperatures. I'd bag it once the water reaches 68. Get a NY license just to be safe since you might be moving frequently. the further you go up towards deposit the more likely you are to become snarled in a green slimy algae which will pull dry flies underwater and coat your knots in the leader. Makes fishing unpleasant at best. Once below Hale, it becomes less of an issue. Main should be no algae.

Hatches? Not much in the way of sulphurs as they've all but ended. Pseudo should show pretty regularly (#22-#26 olive). Smattering of ISO, stenos later in the day, cinnamon caddis and tan caddis. For caddis, flush pattern, emerger or spent will get more hits than a elk hair. Tiny nymphs or ridiculously big nymphs.

If you hook up in fast water, let the fish run and chase... you won't be able to stop them.

Vaughn, thank you very much for that info. That is exactly what I was looking for. That should get me started.

McSneek & krayfish, thanks for the info on fly selection. krayfish do you use X-caddis? I would think that'd be a good alternative to an elk hair. I hope I hook one that runs me down river! I moved to PA about a year ago after fly fishing in the salt for a while for stripers and albies when I lived in Massachusetts. I'm hoping to hear that drag burn!

moon, thanks for that map. Looks like the NYDEC has a lot of good resources.

Thank you all very much for the help. I'll definitely post a report when I go.

Lots of CDC patterns, x might work in riffs. Even on 4x, it's sometimes tough to stop a decent fish. Below are some links to fishing reports. If there's one tip I can give you, spend a lot more time looking and positioning yourself then actually fishing.

http://thedelawareriverclub.com/blog/
https://www.trouttownflies.com/reports/

Need to get you back up there McSneek ;)

Luke if you want send me a pm before you go. I spend a lot of time there and might be able to help. All good advice above.

Was going to go up a couple weeks ago because I had to be in Wilkes Barre but that hurricane changed my plans. I’ll definitely go back. Floated Balls Eddy to Stockport. Wade fished Indian Country and Gamelands on second day. Lot of people by my standards. Had a blast. Love it up there.

krayfish2 wrote:
Lots of CDC patterns, x might work in riffs. Even on 4x, it's sometimes tough to stop a decent fish. Below are some links to fishing reports. If there's one tip I can give you, spend a lot more time looking and positioning yourself then actually fishing.

http://thedelawareriverclub.com/blog/
https://www.trouttownflies.com/reports/

Need to get you back up there McSneek ;)

My first stop when I get up there is usually at the junction poo l- Bard Parker access NY side of river
Can check water temps of both the east and west branch at the same spot.
And get a real feel for what's going on right off the bat

Buy Paul Weamer’s book Fly fishing guide to the upper Delaware. It will be like gold and talks about all the access points and hatches. Also check out the Delaware River Club flor some flies and local knowledge from Jeff. Daily report is also great and they have great guides if you choose to float as well as Cross Current Guide service. Good luck

Wondering if you made it and how it went. I've got a buddy that's been there since early May. His reports are not very exciting for the last couple of weeks.

Krayfish, I haven't made the trip yet. Planning to in the next couple of weeks. I'm in the Lehigh Valley, so it's a bit of a trip and work has kept me busy over the past couple of weeks.

Just picked up Paul Weamer's book, so hopefully that'll help me out too. Hoping to head up there at least a couple of times this fall.

Back