Way too much time

J

JohnPowers

What can I say, I'm retired, raining so I can't finish the Christmas lights. So, like some of you, I take my whip finisher to the garage, ball peen the wire at the end of the grip to flatten some, over to the one inch sander to grind double bevel, swipe on 1200 grit glued to plexiglass and finish off on strop coated with green compound. Whip finish and just touch the thread and Bobs your uncle. This will save me four seconds a fly....that's three minutes a year. Now, let me sort my dubbing again.

What just happened here?

SBecker wrote:
What just happened here?

I'm waiting for the video to be posted.

What happened, using the end of a whip finisher to cut thread. Orvis,tightlines video. I couldn't make a better one myself. Eddie...that you?

Lol I kinda understand. Actually I fully understand now.

very old trick

didn't materelli whippers have it on the handle end?

http://flyfishingreporter.com/video-using-whip-finish-tool-cut-thread

"Bob's your Uncle"... good reference.

BrookieChaser wrote:
"Bob's your Uncle"... good reference.

Isn't he related to Plumb Bob?

It's a British saying. I first heard it in "World's Fastest Indian".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob%27s_your_uncle

Plumb Bob Square Pant's

It has become trendy since a couple of youtube tyers are showing their sharpened Materelli's. I don't get it as I need the scissors in my hand anyway, and I couldn't whip with a Materelli if you paid me.
Has anyone noticed their whip finish loosen when they cut instead of clip the thread? It seems to occasionally recoil on me when I cut with the scissor blade rather than snip.
Mike.

I see no difference. I had nothing to do waiting for the bread to rise so I flattened and beveled the end. What looks like heavy wire may be tool steel as it is hard to flatten and hones well. I haven't mastered holding the scissors throughout the whole fly. I think being able to reach in and cut the thread might be advantageous but no big deal.

Thanks for the post, John, and LOVED the "Bob's your uncle" part! I really had never heard that expression and actually looked it up...very funny.

Thanks for posting, and I look forward to reading more in the future.

TC

Bob's your uncle was uttered by **** Van Dyke in the movie Mary Poppins.

Back