Waterproof/Submersible Sling Packs

turkey

turkey

Over the years I've transitioned from a vest to the simplicity of a lanyard, and then to a lumbar pack, and finally to a proper sling pack. The pack I use isn't purpose built for angling but its performed quite well over the years. My main issue is that when I wade too deep the bag, and everything in it, gets soaked.

Enter the submersible sling pack. It looks like all of the major players (Orvis, Patagonia, Fishpond, Simms, not sure about Vedavoo, etc.) have a horse in the race. They all seem to be relatively priced the same, although the specs (volume) vary a bit. Do any of you folks have experience with any of these types of packs? Is 13L enough storage? Is 20L over kill? What about longevity? Do the coatings hold up? Any cracking or failure? Are there any brands that I'm unaware of?

As always, thanks in advance for sharing your experiences and opinions. Cheers.

I've been using a Fishpond submersible sling pack for the last 6+ years or so (not sure exactly when I got it). The pack that I have is the precursor to the 'Thunderhead' submersible pack. It's 13L, which is plenty of storage for a day on the water - I can easily fit a few fly boxes + essentials + water bottle - with room left over for a packable jacket, extra layer, etc. (or a couple of beers :))

I've been really pleased with this pack's performance. It's been through a good number of years fishing with me, and the waterproof zippers, etc. have all held up and the pack is still completely watertight. the pack is really comfortable to wear all day as well.

Thank you so much for your reply. I really like the look of the Fishpond.

glad you made this thread. im sick of wading too deep and soaking flies

I am about to purchase my 3rd sling pack, i currently have 2, started slinging about a year ago.

Patagonia vest front sling and fishpond summit sling. They are both good packs with one major flaw, i am right handed and they both go over the right shoulder which i dont care for. Being that i am casting with my right arm they just ride up way too much.

I'm interested in the waterproof aspect before i buy another though. Are any of these slings above ambidex or left shoulder?

timmyt2 wrote:
I'm interested in the waterproof aspect before i buy another though. Are any of these slings above ambidex or left shoulder?

I'm not really sure about this. I know a couple guys that run the Patagonia submersible. I'll get a closer look this weekend.

It's interesting that it appears that Orvis switched their slings from right shoulder (I have an old one) to left should in the new line for this year. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like a redesigned submersible was released yet. Maybe the left-should submersible will be coming in the near future to follow the change in the regular slings?

Back