Waterproof Hip Pack

G

gibsygoldtop

What's your choice for a fully waterproof hip pack? Looking for something that has inside organization, outside tool spots for zinger, tippet etc, and possibly something that has long-handle net storage.

Thanks!

The 100% waterproof submersible ones with T-zip 100 % waterproof zippers are hard to get in and out of but really do work but need to make sure the zipper is closed all the way which is not as easy as you think. Patagonia Simms Fishpond and others sell these.

The cheaper water resistant ones are much easier to use but are not 100% waterproof submersible. They typically don't use the much more expensive T-zip style 100% waterproof zippers.

I started with a Patagonia stormfront hip pack with T-Zip but didn't like the hard to use access and decided I really didn't need 100% waterproof submersible pack for my needs.

Sage makes a hip pack that has both a T-zip 100% waterproof compartment and a bigger easier access water resistant compartment. It has most of what your looking for. Its in their technical line of bags and packs and might be hard to find. see video

Good luck

I own the fishpond sling. It is amazing and keeps everything dry as a bone. None of the waterproof submersibles have very good internal dividers since you really can't "stitch" the pack. If there are any out there that do, I have yet to see one.

chromefinder wrote:
The 100% waterproof submersible ones with T-zip 100 % waterproof zippers are hard to get in and out of but really do work but need to make sure the zipper is closed all the way which is not as easy as you think. Patagonia Simms Fishpond and others sell these.

The cheaper water resistant ones are much easier to use but are not 100% waterproof submersible. They typically don't use the much more expensive T-zip style 100% waterproof zippers.

I started with a Patagonia stormfront hip pack with T-Zip but didn't like the hard to use access and decided I really didn't need 100% waterproof submersible pack for my needs.

Sage makes a hip pack that has both a T-zip 100% waterproof compartment and a bigger easier access water resistant compartment. It has most of what your looking for. Its in their technical line of bags and packs and might be hard to find. see video

Good luck

I would avoid the Sage line of products shown in the video (if you can find them anymore). It was a dream of mine to have a waterproof backpack for days on the stream when it was raining and I ended up buying the Sage pack. Before I even used it, the buckle at the top of the pack ripped out of the flimsy plastic backing that held it in place - it was brittle, and I don't think the long term durability of the plastic on that piece of gear is good. Sage's warranty response was less than stellar - return the gear to where you bought it, or we can give you a credit for something like a third of what you paid for it (for a piece of our other overpriced gear). Ending up getting some 3M glue and am going to use one of the shoulder straps and buckles out of an old pair of neoprene waders to weld that piece to a piece of neoprene as a backing.

My buddy just got this one from Fishpond. He likes to take everything he owns with him "just in case" and this pack seems to fit the bill. It is fully submersible. I have the backpack version and it's pretty damn nice.

https://fishpondusa.com/product/detail/thunderhead-lumbar/2635

Umpqua Tongass waterproof waist pack (roll top). The main compartment is submersible and fits a rain coat, sandwich, and all my gear. There is a small pocket with internal organizers that is zippered, this pocket will take on water through the zipper if submerged. The pack also has two water bottle holders. I used to have the simms dry creek waist pack, this is the better pack.

I have the fishpond thunderhead sling and it is awesome. Just big enough but not too big. I have no issue getting in and out of it and it is bombproof, and waterproof too :) plenty of attachment points for your gadgets and 2 pockets inside the large compartment. It’s perfect for me and I highly recommend it. That and fishpond is just a great company.

Back