Waterproof Gloves

T

tctrout

As this winter season is coming to an end, I'm not pleased with my current waterproof gloves. I would love to hear what others are using and any feedback.

I prefer not to wear gloves, but there are those days when they're simply needed. Waterproof is something I prefer, though the bulk is always a negative.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions!

Tim

I typically don't go fishing if it's below 23-25 degrees so I don't really make it out during the brutal cold. Even then I only go out a few times when it's in the 20s.

I bought a pair of Berkeley neoprene gloves and just chopped a few of the fingers off. They work well enough for me and typically I take them off for large parts of the day because my hands get too warm - thick neoprene.

Hi Tim,

I use the Clam Outdoors IceArmor Dry Skinz Gloves since they are waterproof and very thin. On cold days I use them as liners since they are not warm enough on their own.

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/p/clam-outdoors-icearmor-dry-skinz-gloves-15cloudrysknzglvmfic/15cloudrysknzglvmfic?&color=Black/Blue

John

I prefer fingerless for fly fishing and wear a pair of Glacier gloves on most winter trips. But for other trips when cranking & reeling, take a look at SealSkinz. (They look like the IceArmor DrySkinz....not sure who copied who. ) I've had a pair for a number of years that have held up pretty well. They're not too bulky and cut the wind perfectly. They will keep your hands dry when you plunge them into freezing water, although I've found that once the material is wet, dry doesn't matter: you still have cold hands.

I have the kast steelhead gloves. I'm fine fishing without gloves until it gets below 30 or so. I fish all year long and winter is probably my favorite time. I invested in the gloves a year and a half ago, they are well worth it in my opinion. I am able to fish with the gloves on and still manage line pretty well. If I need to tie on a new fly or tippet I take them off. They are warm and waterproof but not thick. I highly recommend them.

I don't like the water proof gloves My preference is the army wool liners I usually shrink them in very hot or boiling water to tighten up the weave and they are good when damp down to mid to lower 20's. 20* f is my cut off.

I've tried almost every cold weather glove out there. And have pretty much come to the conclusion that none of them are worth while.
You still have to leave your thumb and index finger exposed to be able to change flies and tippet. And once those digits get cold, it is still hard to retie - no matter how warm the rest of your hand is.

I try not to fish in air temps below forty degrees - which seems to be the point that numbs my fingers

Back