WATERPROOF Fly Box Recommendations

F

Flyfisher1997

Does anyone have durable, RELIABLE, completely waterproof fly boxes? Nothing stops me from wading as deep as my waders allow, typically dunking my vest in the process. I don’t really want to switch to a waterproof sling because I like the organization and accessibility a vest offers. I’ve had cheap boxes off of Amazon that keep them dry for a few trips but then start to fail. I recently bought a box from Risen that was advertised as waterproof and that thing is worse then the Amazon boxes. I asked this on a FB group but most people say they don’t exist, or they just question why I wade so deep. Hoping someone has some recommendations here

I can't help with a waterproof fly box but casting further will solve your problem. At least for me, as I learned to cast better i found out I didn't need to wade nearly as deep as I did before.

I typically Euro/tight line nymph, so getting close is the name of the game or it just isn’t effective. If the water is too deep to wade then I adjust with an indicator. But if I can wade without going over my waders I do it.

Any fly box advertised as waterproof relies on a gasket of some type. Eventually that gasket will be compressed, deformed or damaged by opening & closing the box and it will leak somewhere along the seal.

Short of never opening the box, leaking is inevitable unless you can buy spare gaskets, which I doubt is a possibility.

As you are Euro/tight line nymphing and not worrying about keeping dry flies dry, just get into the habit of leaving whatever “waterproof box” you end up with open overnight so the flies have a chance to dry out and you should be fine.

If they get soaked you MAY get some hook rusting at the point if the boxes are foam lined or if they are slit foam boxes unless you take them completely out of the foam, but I typically leave flies to dry out overnight still stuck in foam under normal conditions (flies I used that day) and have no issues.

Good luck in your search!!

Put your boxes in zip lock bags. That will keep them dry.

Back