Water temperature around tyrone

tstooge26

tstooge26

Hello everyone

I will be heading out to Tyrone for work this week and was wondering if the little j or spruce stay cool enough for trout this time of year...I never fished either creek and would like to check them out

I am assuming spring creek will stay cool during the summer...have fished there once before but would like to try somewhere new if possible...any info would be greatly appreciated

They all stay "cool enough for trout" but whether they'll be cool enough for good fishing is a different story. I would probably fish Spring out of those three if I was forced to fish this week. Fish just bellow benner springs or fisherman's paradise to find the coolest water. Go early.

LJR will probably be slow fishing once the heat sets in. There might be some early morning action to be had but it'll slow dramatically once the sun gets on the water.

Spruce will be fine, but unless you've got connections, you are limited to the public stretch.

Hi all:

- I fished the Church Pool at Spruce Creek on Wednesday morning (8/5). Stream was up and off color a little. Didn't get stream temps.

- Fishing has definitely slowed on the Little J, which is normal for August. Only managed 1 decent 12 inch wild brown and 5 little ones (6 inches or so) in about 2 hours fishing. Usually that pool is good for a dozen or so 12 to 15 inch wild browns during a 2 or 3 hour morning session.

- As soon as the sun hit the water, the fishing stopped.

-------

- My advice. With the hot weather (it was 87 here in Altoona today Sun: 8/16), I'd give Spring Creek a shot in the mornings. I was there this past weekend and stream looked really good.

- If you are stuck fishing the Little Juniata, try about 2 miles downstream of Tyrone. The big issue with the Little J this time of year deals with the hot water being dumped from the Paper Plant at Tyrone into the Bald Eagle which flows into the Little Juniata at the bend in Tyrone.

- However, if you travel about 2 miles south of Tyrone, there is a major set of springs that cools the Little J back down to 55 degrees. This is where you want to fish. Hit this up in the morning (6am to 10am). You should have some decent fish. As soon as the sun hits the water, the fishing will stop. For some reason, the Little J browns are notorious for shutting down when the sun hits the water.

If you have a cloudy, dark day, then you may have good fishing all day. At least from my experiences.

Hope this helps,

John Coxey

Thanks for the help...prob drive up to spring one day and do some exploring the other

FYI: Bennet springs is the warmest section of spring creek. Try below bellefonte.

o/t: lol at your new avatar photo, PennKev

Pennkevs advice is pretty solid regarding the lj this time of year. I wouldn't totally throw it out for fishing, it is still enjoyable to fish, even if the fishing slow. If the lj watershed gets some decent rainfall and the water gets dirty, streamer fishing could be productive.

Back