Water Levels

salmo

salmo

How are the streams in the north central part of the state doing? I’m concerned about the lack of snowpack. Should I be?

Yo sal - the little map in the bottom right corner shows a lot of green and blue, but I agree with you on snow. Snow is future water. At least down here in the SE, the ground isn't frozen, so the warm rain soaks into the watershed, rather than running off.

Up north in the freestones I always hope for lots of snow that melts into the ground slowly to the middle of April.

The flow levels are higher than average for this date in NC PA.

Also, the flow levels now, and the amount of snow on the ground now, have very little relevance to what the flow levels will be during the crucial summer period (June through August).

From my work travels Friday and hunting today, I would say most streams from Luzerne Co to Clinton Co are all above normal flows without looking at gauges

How are the streams in the north central part of the state doing? I’m concerned about the lack of snowpack. Should I be?
Snowpack. LOL.

Seriously, this isnt a thing in PA. We're never more than a week from a total melt-off and never more than a few weeks from low and clear condtions.

Snowpack. LOL.

Seriously, this isnt a thing in PA. We're never more than a week from a total melt-off and never more than a few weeks from low and clear condtions.
Yeah, it is wild how a short stint without rain makes the streams so low and clear. It's even more amazing that the fish in 99% of the streams are generally fine, too. They've been through some serious droughts and heat and survived. They've been through some serious floods. Most of the time, they'll be okay.

Snowpack? This ain’t the Rocky Mountains. Snow in the Northern Tier of PA has little to no impact on stream levels by prime trout season.

Streams look great in Lancaster County. Mild winter and good flows could mean a good trout season, but as we have found out lately, things can change quickly.

streams are in great shape great winter flow and temps for this time of year just wait till midday to late afternoon water temps got to 42 yesterdayy on a mid size freestone yesterday

How are the streams in the north central part of the state doing? I’m concerned about the lack of snowpack.
Creeks are running good,beaver ponds and any other low spots are holding plenty of water is what I saw this past week from upper Clarion east to Pine watersheds. Lakes and reservoirs look like normal winter pool.

Back