Water Level - Penns Creek

H

hagman

Since my father passed it has become an annual tradition to fish Penns Creek for father's day weekend. It looks like Penns is pushing near 1600 fps at the USGS station in Penns Creek (which is pretty far downstream). Last year I think it was under 300 fps. I can't imagine these flows are remotely fishable. Do you think it will calm down enough to fish this weekend?

p.s. I am going regardless, just wanted to keep my expectations in check.

p.p.s. Railroad tunnel still closed?

Thank you!

Will not be down for the weekend.

Thanks! Looks like I will be doing some hiking!

I'd try Penn's out no matter what. I think much of the heaviest rain on Friday was east of Weikert, which would raise the gauge at the town of Penns Creek, but not necessarily mean that the trout water was blown out or muddy. The creek was fishing great on Wed. (Weikert) and Thursday (C&R area)- just a bit milky at that time, flow fairly strong but wadeable all the way across at the usual crossings. I was up there Friday morning, not fishing, but the water still looked good as of around 11 am.

Had a great time on Penns. It was muddy but entirely fishable. I did better than expected catching several fish Saturday morning in the campground and on Sunday hooking into two really nice fish in the C?R section, executing perfect ILDR (involuntary long distance release) on both.

I need to tie bigger bugs!

256r9g8.jpg

Attachments

• Small Stonefly.jpg
    Small Stonefly.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 5
I fished Penns Sunday evening at Poe Paddy and had the entire stream to myself. Not one other car in the parking area down from the RR bridge. The stream was completely fish-able. All the high water reports scared everyone away. However, mosquitoes were unbelievable.

Back