Warning: Main Street Cafe closed

R

rrt

For those of you who like to visit the Main Street Cafe in Alexandria when fishing the LJR, it has been closed by the Dept. of Health for a variety of repeated health code violations. (From personal experience, the last time I ate there, I vowed not to return, since the restaurant appeared dirty, and the food was no longer good.)

I would recommend you visit the recently refurbished Spruce Creek Tavern or Paesano's, which are both clean and close to the LJR. If you drive down Huntingdon way, you will find various spots, including Kelly's Corner and a few franchise places along Rt. 22.

Sad about Main Street. When it first opened as Main Street about 25 years ago, it was a nice place: clean with good food and reasonable prices.

Too bad, hate to see businesses fail because of poor mgt.

Not surprising. I stopped for lunch w/ GF. Had more flies there than on the little J!

Dang. The owner is a big Saints fan. Watched a lot of Penguin playoff games there.

Not happy to hear this for sure.
I ate quite a few dinners in there while catching some penguins playoff games this spring.

I can remember going there when I first started fishing the little j back in the early '80's. It was a real dive at that time, and I wouldn't even have considered eating in there.
Then it closed down for a few years, if I remember correctly.
And a guy from pittsburgh bought it, and fixed it up quite nicely.
Been going there ever since - although I remember hearing that the pittsburgh fella sold it at some point.
Guess things have kinda come full circle now.

Another option for dining in that area, is edgewater acres - located right on the frankstown branch. I ate in there last fall a few times with some buddies of mine from greene hills campground.
And the food is quite good

+1 edgewater inn. The owner, Keith Beamer, is a PFBC habitat manager who has worked on a number of projects on the LJ. This includes going above and beyond his expected duties to improve the river.
He allows the LJRA association to meet there free of charge. Edgewater is a corporate sponsor of the LJRA.
Support businesses that are friendly to the sport.

and yes the food is good too and they have a regular rotation of good beer on tap. Service has been excellent every time I've been there.

Been a few weeks now since this was posted. Just wondering if it's opened back up.
I'm gonna be out that way monday, and will be looking for somewhere to watch the stillers/ redskins game monday evening.

Sad to hear of this. Was in several times in April and May. Had lunch and beers on all occasions and saw nothing different from the first time I walked into the place some 20 years ago. Always tried to hit there on Tuesdays for $2.00 Tuesday on all IPAs or Imports. I forget, it may have been both. Guess I'll hit the Edgewater more often now. Bummer. I'm sure they'll get it squared away before too long. A liqueur license is a gold mine in it's self in most cases. Just about ready to head back up to camp for another week or so pretty soon. Just wait'n on the weather to break. Sure been hot.

It has not re-opened. Can't watch MNF at Spruce Creek Tavern, since it is closed on Mondays. Perhaps you can hit a place in Huntingdon. I think Kelly's Corner has a couple TVs in the bar area.

Don't know how far you will travel to watch the game, but Altoona and Hollidaysburg have some pretty decent places: US Hotel, Old Canal Inn and others in Hollidaysburg; Knickerbocker Hotel, Champs Sports Bar, TGI Fridays, Jack & Georges and others in Altoona. Monday is wings and Yuengs night at the Knick. (Knick and J&G are not real easy to find, but if you have a gps, I imagine it would get you there.)

Good luck.

Also, I forgot to mention the Bull Pen right outside of Tyrone. Doesn't look like much, but it has good food, and the beer is cold.

Thanks
Edgewater acres is closed on monday also.
Guess I'll have to try some of the other suggestions

Main Street Caught on fire yesterday.

Gee, that's unusual. Wonder how that happened?

Hadn't heard that or seen it on the news or in the newspaper. Hmmm.

Found a short blurb that the cafe did have a fire that companies responded to. Fire reported to have originated with a dryer in the basement. Blurb did not state the amount of damage.

Back