Warm-Water: Like a Worm

S

Sylvaneous

It seems I should do better fishing for LMB with flies I've tied to imitate them. I have used rabbit strip tails with a little rubber legs tied in: just a mix of versions of stuff I've seen in catalogs like The Fly Fishers and Feather Craft. It didn't do as well as a streamer and neither was as good as a Raney's Joom diver I tie. That fly tops all of them. I'm thinking that it just doesn't fish right, even running a sink tip. I watch the thing slink it's way down and can't imagine a bass passing it up, but it just doesn't get bit at much as I expect. Is it design? Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Abandon the worm/jig flies and stick with the shad, minnow, frog and bluegill immitators.

I dunno (scratching head). I've found that flies that have a leech like action and that appear (at least to our eyes) to look like Senkos or other hard plastics, tend to fish fairly well. However, I think that the average LM bass probably eats more small fishes than leeches etc. and perhaps this explains your results(?). Just a WAG on my part.

Maybe make this a project this year and keep some data on your results that control for weather, temps, time of day, water conditions, and so forth. Would be a great thread to review at the end of the year.

It could be the color. I don't think I have that many "worm" flies. I've got super-sized double mop fly tied up to imitate a wacky rigged worm, but haven't had a chance to try it out. If I get some hits, I might tie a couple of more up. I did tie up some "Ned flies" on jigs which I think might work.
DSCF1082

DSCF1123

I found the material in Feather-Craft. I haven't thought about it in terms of a "worm" fly. Make it a couple of inches longer, add a marabou tail, figure out what are the best colors for a "worm" pattern. I thinking green pumpkin. I don't think natural color fits in.

I’ve never fished a Raney’s Joom diver but they look great and I’m positive it looks great in the water as well. I prefer less on a hook and think there is just way to much going on with a joom diver. When fish are on they can be caught on anything. When they are off, I find the big gaudy stuff to be the least effective. I think the trend to have sub surface flies that “move” water has been taken to far by YouTube. fish are not made to move water so why do we want our flies to move water?

A few years ago, I came up with a mealworm pattern for stockies. I've started to tie them in bigger sizes last season for bass, and they really produced.

neither was as good as a Raney's Joom diver I tie
I actually had to look up Joom diver. I found a couple of flies I tied with the foam head. I think I tied them for Canada in 2020, but since the border wasn't open we didn't go. Put them away and didn't take them with me in 2021. I'll have to dig them out and give them a shot. These are a bit simpler, just the foam head and a spinner bait skirt tied on the hook. I think I used an Ahrex 1/0 Predator hook.
P8200763

P8200764

P8200766

I actually had to look up Joom diver. I found a couple of flies I tied with the foam head. I think I tied them for Canada in 2020, but since the border wasn't open we didn't go. Put them away and didn't take them with me in 2021. I'll have to dig them out and give them a shot. These are a bit simpler, just the foam head and a spinner bait skirt tied on the hook. I think I used an Ahrex 1/0 Predator hook.
View attachment 1641224769
View attachment 1641224770
View attachment 1641224771

how are those to cast? They just scream "wind resistance" to me.

how are those to cast? They just scream "wind resistance" to me.
I don't know. I planning on using them with my 8 wgt with a heavy leader and tippet when I head up to the Poconos at the end of May. I'll let you know. I think they will be less wind resistant than a similar size deer hair fly.

Back