Warm Temperature

F

foxfire

I know there is an extensive thread in regards to water temperature in the main forum, but I wanted to comment here since I'm a beginner:

I took a stroll along Loyalhanna Creek this weekend just to get out - wasnt fishing. The sun has been beating on the water for months to were it's barely a trickle. I was pleasantly surprised to see how many trout I spotted - probably 50 in a 200 yard section. Not in deep hole either. They seemed active, alert, and healthy. I wasn't expecting any since reading on the mortality of water temp on hatchery trout. I didn't have a thermometer but the water temp had to be pushing 80 degrees. What gives??? Are trout a little more adaptible than given credit for?

foxfire,

The sun has been beating on the water for months to were it's barely a trickle.

The sun beating on the water has little to do with it being a trickle the lack of rain is the real culprit.

They seemed active, alert, and healthy. I wasn't expecting any since reading on the mortality of water temp on hatchery trout. I didn't have a thermometer but the water temp had to be pushing 80 degrees. What gives???

There are a couple of factors that can allow trout to survive in what appears to be water that is too warm.

1. Highly oxygenated water as in high gradient, rocky streams can help.

2. under ground springs.

But my guess is that what you saw were some highly stressed fish on their way to the big nap.

Trout often survive into July on the Loyalhanna above Latrobe. Few will make it through September.

Trout will survive in temps up to around 80 degrees, but that doesn't mean you should fish for them. But if you do fish for them and catch a few in temps above 70 keep them, they probably won't survive and stockies are meant to be harvested.
Trout survive high temps by finding refuge at springs that come out of the bottoms of streams and by making seasonal use of tributaries.

What a shame. Thanks for the input!!

Back