Warm/Hot Weather + Wading

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

Do you guys wear ur waders in 80+ degree weather? Feels like summer today and I thought abt it how hot it would be to have waders on even in the H2O

What do you wear when you're fishing, in the H20 and it's hot like this?

Waders or Shorts + neoprene socks+wading boots? etc

Depends on the stream for me. If its a clean stream, I'll just wear my wading boots and shorts. If its warm water, Lancaster Co. farmland streams, those waders are staying on!

Depends on the stream for me. If its a clean stream, I'll just wear my wading boots and shorts. If its warm water, Lancaster Co. farmland streams, those waders are staying on!

To much animal siht in the farm streams?

Whatr makes a stream clean and 'un-clean'?

Seen some pretty nasty skin infections after wading in some of the SEPA streams. Bacteria love nothing more than a scratch or cut to get into. The nurse part of me would be hesitant to wet wade in some of the more urban streams in the area.

Volks - Shouldn't you be preparing for your better 1/2's birth-weekend instead of posting on a message board? :lol:

Ahhh...but I am prepared...starting the Red Velvet Cake now...and I'd feel guilty if I had to do aa wound culture on you because I was too busy celebrating.

I always wear waders. The bacteria to concern yourself with most likely aren't "pollutants", they're quite natural. So being "clean" doesn't get you real far.

With decent breathables, it's not that hot.

I'm with Pcray...I almost always wear waders. I've seen one too many pics of some nasty infections and skin issues.

For what it's worth (which isn't much :)), I haven't worn waders since February. The only time I really wear waders is when it's in the 30's/low 40's. Now, do I wade out waist deep sans waders when it's 47 degrees outside? No. But since I like to fish a lot of small streams and hike in a good distance, I feel bogged down with waders on. I think it's a left over habit from when the only fishing I did was wading for smallies in the Susky in the summer. If my upper body is warm, then wet wading even in cool weather seems to work ok for me. Maybe I should be more concerned about bacteria, but alas, I am not. This time of year, I wear a pair of quick drying pants (the kind that zip off at the knee) and wet-wading shoes. I'll adjust my upper body layers to suit the air temp.

Waders 90% of the time. If I'm fishing a small brookie stream then it's wading socks an my regular wading boots.

I rarely wear waders when the weather is nice, but I usually fish relatively 'clean' streams and hike a fair amount while fishing...I'd definitely consider the waders if the water looked/smelled suspect.

I wear waders if I plan on wading. Shorts and regular sock with rolled down waders in hot weather.

Usually the walk back to the car is when it is warm.

Small brookies streams I wear hiking boots and rock jump to navigate.

I wet wade when it gets much over 70 degrees, wearing long underwear under my shorts and wading boots. Not the real heavy knit stuff, just black tights I got from Wallypalooza. I stay warm enough, and the long underwear also protects against poison ivy and scratches when I'm hiking through rough cover. It wicks dry real fast, too.

I'll wet wade when WW fishing large streams in the Summer where I'm in the water (or at least the streambed) nearly 100% of the time, even when just walking upstream. My water temp threshold for wet wading is about 70 degrees, maybe a little lower if it's a really hot day air temp wise...say 85 or warmer. When wet wading I just wear my wading boots and swim shorts...won't win any praise from fashionistas but the fish don't seem to care.

On smaller streams where you have to get out of the streambed and into the brush to move around (which is nearly all of my trout fishing) I always wear waders and a long sleeve shirt regardless of air and water temp...protection from ticks, biting insects, thorns, poison ivy, etc. If it's going to be hot and I'm on a small stream I'll try to get away with just my hip waders instead of chest waders.

Just a related story to share. 2 Years ago I went on a multi day kayaking trip down the Delaware River. I brought my waders and had intended on wearing them, my 2 partners laughed at me and convinced me to leave them in the van. Well after the 1st day I had to get out and seek treatment for 3rd degree burns on my legs from the sun, the sun block, water and other necessities were on the canoe which left me behind 10 minutes after we launched. I couldn't walk for several days, lesson learned.

I will always wear waders unless it's a tiny stream or smooth bank/shoreline. Same with hiking, no shorts, long pants and sleeves, no tics.

Waist highs for me. And like others said they keep you from contact with poison ivy while walking in and out. Cept last week when I forgot to put them in the car so I wet waded in shorts and sandals in Muddy Creek.

I have wet waded some in the past but no more. I have heard to many horror stories. I wear Simms waisthighs year round.

I'd like to add that whilst fishing a certain branch of a certain river in Blair county last weekend (was it two weekends ago?) I confidently vaulted a guardrail and landed on some loose rocks, and down I went. My fall was broken by the inside of my right bicep as it generously scraped along the concrete bridge wall. I fell hard, but nothing serious. I promptly rinsed the wound in the limestoney waters at the mouth of Roaring Run, then applied some crushed jewel weed. Healed nicely.

Even on a day like today 95 but feels like 100 w/ humidity .. waders?? Bacteria is that bad?

It was a very hot day, about 95 and I decided to head over to Codorus creek which is about 10 min from my house. I decided to where my golf sandals and shorts on such a hot day. The water was so cold I could not stay in for a few minutes, my legs were numb. Now I know why this steam supports native browns. It draws off of the bottom of Lake Marburg and that water is a chilly 55 all year long.

Back