Want to Tie Some Very Light Fly Spinners

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

I want to tie a few spinners, complete with roatating blade. It can be a single hook or treble. The important thing is, it has to be light enough to cast with a fly rod (4 wt) and have space on the wire (or whatever the shaft is called) so I can tie some materials. Any suggestions on where to get parts? Anyone tying such things?

Do you mean like a pistol Pete? If you're going to fish true spinning lure on a treble hook, you'd probably be better off with a spinning rod... You can get propeller blades for flies though. I have a couple pistol Petes that I bought from an online fly shop, but have yet to fish them.

I don't think I could bring myself to fish an actual spinning lure on a fly rod. Just seems wrong. I think I could fish a pistol Pete ironically, though...

jeremymcon wrote:

I don't think I could bring myself to fish an actual spinning lure on a fly rod. Just seems wrong. I think I could fish a pistol Pete ironically, though...

As long as you're fishing them ironically, you're OK.

Any suggestions on where to get parts?

GOOGLE 'lure making supplies" and search the results

Cabelas has a pretty good selection of lure making supplies.

Let's not get to hating - fly rod lures have an old and honorable (at least to me) history. Pistol Pete with a propeller blade and a bead for a bearing is seen more out West. I used to split a streamer hook to slip the clevis, blade and bead on and then splice hook back together. Learning wire bending allows you to make something like a Joe's Fly. Then there is the old clip on spinner for the front of the hook. Finally, splice a ring and blade on like a Roadrunner.

Old fly rod guys would use spinner type lures with a lot of mending to steer the lure under or around obstacles where fish would lie. It's something you can't do with spinning tackle and is effective. i.e., to get a good downstream cast along an undercut bank cast up and across from the bank with enough room to let the lure sink to the desired depth. Then do a monster downstream mend and the current will pull the lure right along the undercut.

Gfen uses props, I believe. Maybe he will share some insight on assembly and fishing.

Try Jann's netcraft - they have a bundh of lure making stuff - maybe what you're looking for.

Back