Want to be a better fly tyer??

WWKimba

WWKimba

Practice is one way to get better at ANYTHING, and PERFECT PRACTICE s the best!

Try a fly swap! One, most swaps (and ALL that I host) are open to all level tyers. Two, you have to tie multiple flies of the same pattern (the practice, I was mentioning). Three, most swaps include experienced tyers so you can see what your ties CAN look like with that practice. Four, you can begin to build your fly pattern database and you have a fly to test drive to see if the pattern is an effective one for you!

In my swaps I also provide additional assistance to ALL newer tyers. This can include: suggesting a set of fly pattern suggestions to tie to meet the swap theme, a list of tips/tricks in tying your chosen pattern, and educational feedback (that PERFECT practice I mentioned) to help improve your tying ability. This will include where you did well, where you need to improve AND steps to take to improve your tying.

I hope you consider this option to improve your tying!

Kim

BTW, check the "Fly Tying" thread for the most current swap or feel free to PM me to find when I'm planning my next swap!

Agree with you, Kim. Earlier in my tying career, I participated in a lot of swaps. It certainly improved my fly tying. Since you're tying for others, you focus on tying the fly right and using the right materials. The classic fly swap I joined was called the "Y2K Caddis Swap" it had 100 participants. I tied the CDC and Elk. I must have tied close to 175 flies in order to send 100 good ones. By the time I was done I could tie that fly blind-folded, almost. Between the ones I received and the ones I didn't submit, I didn't have to tie any caddis patterns for a few years. I may still have some around.

Back