Wally-Wing Spinners

D

dubthethorax

Has anyone else ever tried this? It's basically splitting a single wood duck feather to create two spinner wings. I learned how to do it in tying class tonight.

It's actually pretty easy to pull off. Not sure how well it will fish, but it sure looks pretty awesome.

(this is the first time I ever attempted to tie this fly, so I know it's pretty bad, but the wings still look cool)
wing.jpg

top.jpg

Yes. Once. When I was done, I thought it sure looked pretty and that I would never, ever be bothered to do it again.

I've seen that style of wing called a "wonder wing". Who's Wally? :lol:

Bob Miller, author of the book "Tricos", ties wonder wing trico spinners. Uhhhh, no thanks.

Al & Gretchen Beatty are also big on wonder wings. They're not all that durable, but they sure do look cool.

After a little searching, I found the difference between wonder wings, and Wally wings:

http://traditionalflies.com/index.php?wallywing

I tried tying the wonder wings after reading Bob Millers book- but they didn't come out very well. And I've really never tried them
Yours like quite nice though

Heritage-Angler wrote:
I've seen that style of wing called a "wonder wing". Who's Wally? :lol:

Its part of George's cirriculum.

Nice tie and you only get better with more practice.

I dont care for this style wing as said before it is not durable. I do however tie a down wonder wing stone fly. It pretty sweet, but again, not to durable.

Back