126.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Image00002.jpg
    Image00002.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 1
Cool!
I've long thought of Walleye flies as being slender but you've demonstrated that 'eyes like a bushier, bright colored fly.

I agree with Dave. Thin bucktail streamers were always my top producing walleye fly. Cool you were catching them on those streamers.

Cool catch. Not often you get walleye on fly.

GenCon

That's awesome. I've never caught Walleye on the fly...

Do you traditionally blindcast for these fish? Or are you targeting structure and such?

I have caught a lot of them on white/chartreuse/flash Clousers, but never on anything like that.

How do you work those things? It looks like you were on some decent sized water. I have always caught them in creeks feeding the bigger rivers, or smaller rivers.

in 4' to 15' of water along the shorelines. trolling and long slow strips.

Very impressive walleye are often hard to get on a fly. :cool:

Nice! I do a lot of river fishing and have never caught a walleye on a fly. I've caught them on a lot of things including chicken livers in a spawn sack but never on a fly. You must have the mojo.

Nice, Sandflyx. I've been going to Northern Ontario for 30 years. I've been fly fishing the last 20 years about 50% of the time during my trips. I've caught 4 walleye during that time on a fly rod. All small about 14 inches. Never really targeted them because the time of year I was going they were usually in 20-25 feet of water.

in 20" or deeper they can be caught using lead core shooting heads, Canada where we used to eyes were shallow in august. I was younger than but I know we went north of Manawaki in Quebec. have caught them in lake galena and noxamixon in bucks county. evenings are best when they come inshore to feed in the shallows. streamers, leech flys work well. I have been developing a few patterns for them.

Sandfly: When you fished north of Maniwaki, did you fish in the La Verendrye area between there and Val-D'or?

just past the lodge up there on a old saw mill near the dump for the lodge. this was in the 60's to early 70's. we rented the boats from the lodge had our own motors. I think there were 5-7 family's all camped there all family and friends

I went up with my dad a few times and once with my brother and dad. I was 14-17 years old. We drove from central Bucks Co. to the northern most part of La Verendrye then 9-15 miles west back dirt roads.

We sometimes fished out of a motor boat and sometimes out of a canoe, depending on the size of the lake. There were scores of walleye, many small to medium sized pike, and the occasional monster pike. We watched native folk snare sturgeon in rivers and paddled up on moose feeding in shallows. And, we rarely saw another person.

It was a fantastic experience.

My memories are still vivid.

biggest pike I ever caught was there 48" I was 15 at the time. Big piece of water there. If I decide to sell my place in the next 2 years and live in a camper and travel, that are is one I'm headed back to. grew up 1 mile out of "D-town" next to del-val and burpee farms

Back