Walk and wade in the keys?

fisherprice13

fisherprice13

Any spots along the middle keys that are killer?

There are some wading opportunities in the Keys but they are very limited. The Keys are a boat fishery.

The fundamental problem with the Keys is that - although there are shallow flats everywhere and as far as you can see from RT1......most of these flats are soft bottom and not wadeable (I've even tried snowshoes in the Keys, with no luck). With that said, there are a few spots where you can park and wade. In the middle Keys, Bahia Honda State Park and Long Key State Park, have solid flats where you can wade. These are very popular parks and very crowded - weekdays in the early morning will likely treat you best. You can rent kayaks there too and this will get you further back from the crowds. Generally speaking, the "oceanside" flats are a bit firmer, this meaning the south side of the islands. The solid flats with public access are well known and heavily fished, but I can recall plenty of days when I had them to myself if you get out early.

Here's my report from my last DIY trip to the Keys (dang, it's been too long, I need to get back!)

Keys Report

i was told that Annes Beach in Islamorada was very good - and bahia honda could be off season.

Thanks for that info FI. I'm headed there this summer (first timer) as well. Although I'll be in KW where shore fishing looks just about nonexistent.

geebee wrote:
i was told that Annes Beach in Islamorada was very good - and bahia honda could be off season.

Off season in the Keys is Sept-Oct....and I agree, a great time to visit. My best bonefishing trip was in Oct. Unfortunately, March is much more popular and crowded with snow birds and eager fishermen ready to start the season and hit the flats (I understand as March has pulled me there in the past too). Most years, April and May will treat you better than March.

I fish Anne's Beach on occasion. It's very small (couple hundred yards and a few picnic platforms) and spotty between soft and hard bottom. There's a good channel nearby; a small but good area. I saw an enormous bonefish just a few feet from one of those picnic tables last time I was there - easily a 10lb+ fish, but he showed no interest in my well presented crab fly. Middle Keys bones are big fish and not at all easy to fool on a fly.

jay348 wrote:
Thanks for that info FI. I'm headed there this summer (first timer) as well. Although I'll be in KW where shore fishing looks just about nonexistent.

Yep - KW is even sparser for wade spots or bridge fishing. There are some areas if you're willing to backtrack up RT1 into the lower Keys. Give me a call later this spring as your trip approaches and we'll discuss.

Fishidiot wrote:
Yep - KW is even sparser for wade spots or bridge fishing. There are some areas if you're willing to backtrack up RT1 into the lower Keys. Give me a call later this spring as your trip approaches and we'll discuss.

Will do! It won't be a true fishing (only) trip, but I think the plan will be to rent a car for a couple days and explore some of the less developed beaches. Perhaps those state parks could be a good starting point.

In the lower keys at mile marker 10 ( coming up from Key West) turn right at Circle K gas station go about 2miles to end of road. Their is a big flat caught barracuda in Jan & Feb, supposed to have bonefish later in the spring.

Here's an old but good stickie from the Florida Sportsman website. I used to read and post on this forum a fair amount (even bumped into one of our PAFF regulars there).....but since they changed their forum, I don't post there anymore. Still lots of good info - recommend you print this one out if you're going down there for the first time:

Keys Wade Fishing

I will be there in May. Info very helpful FI thanks

I have fished the keys for many years. I know a few places you wont see on any list. Anyone who is interested send me a pm and I'll fill you in. The largest bonefish I ever caught was while wading. I have caught and weighed bones in the 12 lb range. This fish was larger. He almost spooled me.

GC

if you do wade fishing do not attempt to wade across tidal creeks if there are any around.

And, of course, you want to do the "stingray shuffle" - that is to say, shuffle your feet along the bottom so you kick the buried ray rather than pinning him under your foot. Although I've never pinned a ray, I have kicked a couple. Rays are everywhere in the Keys and, although I think they're gentle and fun to watch...a stingray hit is a serious injury requiring a trip to the emergency room in Marathon where you will receive serious pain meds.
Do the stingray shuffle.

I fished the J'ville pier last week and it was mating season for the rays-they swim at the surface in groups-weird.

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm headed to the keys next week and thought I'd try walk & wade but looks like it would be challenging if not impossible in most spots.

The significant other has already told me she'll do a spa day if I want to find a guide for an all day trip, so I can't complain about that!

Jump all over that Dan have fun take pics

DanL wrote:
I'm glad I found this thread. I'm headed to the keys next week and thought I'd try walk & wade but looks like it would be challenging if not impossible in most spots.
The significant other has already told me she'll do a spa day if I want to find a guide for an all day trip, so I can't complain about that!

Good luck with your trip! This is a great time to visit the Keys - can be windy but the crowds are gone and big bones will cruise the shallows all day.

Back