waist pack

N

nOObmaster

i current use this Patagonia Stealth Convertible Vest
its lightweight, minimalistic and able to carry most. some days when i spend all day on a stream, i feel like i need a bit more space. to carry water, towel and a rain jacket. i am pushing the limits on this vest.

i started looking into waist pack. i am not a fan of sling packs or backpack, as my shoulder is not great.

people who use waist pack, how do you carry your net? any recommendations?

I use the Fishpond Switchback Pro for summer smallmouth fishing. It’s a waist pack that fits on a belt and the pack can be slid from back to front without moving the entire belt. You can add a water bottle holder or two to the belt also (I use a couple canteens and pouches purchased from army surplus).

In the middle of the back of the belt is a net holder that you can slide a net into. Really convenient. Only reason I don’t use it for trout fishing is the net getting caught on stuff when ducking under low limbs and brush. If you don’t fish a lot of areas where you’re crawling under stuff it’s a good waist pack and system with a decent amount of storage.

Another vote for the Fishpond belt system. The net holder is built right in and you can choose from a number of different packs to use with it. Plus plenty of room to add a staff holder, water bottle or even a second pack. Keeping everything on your waist keeps your back, neck, chest and arms free. Keeps you much cooler in warm weather too. And like all FP gear, it's durable as hell - been using mine for 5 years and it's still pretty much in new condition.

I often wade waist deep so thats why i went with a sling pack because it sits up higher on your torso

appreciate the responses. i will look into fishpond, looks pretty big from dimensions. i will see if i can try one on.

I use a Filson waist pack and attach a gear keeper net retractor.

I often wade waist deep so thats why i went with a sling pack because it sits up higher on your torso
i agree. when im wet wading in the summer months theres no telling where i might go. i have a water proof pocket in my pack

I had a fishpond water dance for many years and enjoyed it greatly. Held s ton of stuff. Comfortable. Bought it slightly used on the Swap forum so it was very affordable. I thought it would keep me from wading deeper since it was a waist pack. It didn't. I carry a lot less now and still wade over my belt so I use a sling pack. Works the same. Spin it around front to access. Spin it back when done. I would recommend either.

I initially ditched my vest in the late 1980's and after wearing out a purpose made alternative, I've been using a homemade waist belt/pack system since the 1990's. I went this route because all of the purpose made belts are severely lacking in flexibility and/or the ability to add additional pouches as needed.

My current set-up is based on the MOLLE/PALS system of pouches and attachments used by the military and law enforcement. I have a PALS duty belt and attached to that are two small pouches that hold the necessities (knife, tippet, floatant, hemos, lighter, cigar cutter, flask, etc. and a pouch to hold my wading staff plus a separate gun holster.

I have extra pouches I can add when needed for a folding net, rain gear and even a pouch with an alcohol stove and a small pot for making coffee. Because I almost never carry a net, make coffee and always have an emergency poncho; those extra pouches hardly ever get used.

IF I have a need to wade above my waist, it's a simple matter to loosen the duty belt and slide it up and under my armpits.

Bottom line, I ditched my vest a LONG time ago for a belt around my waist....

i current use this Patagonia Stealth Convertible Vest
its lightweight, minimalistic and able to carry most. some days when i spend all day on a stream, i feel like i need a bit more space. to carry water, towel and a rain jacket. i am pushing the limits on this vest.

i started looking into waist pack. i am not a fan of sling packs or backpack, as my shoulder is not great.

people who use waist pack, how do you carry your net? any recommendations?
I have a magnet on my wading belt just in front of my left hip. The other magnet is on my net, at the base of the handle. The net hangs handle up, at my side, just off my hip. Works well for me.

I use a chest pack (B+W) but wear it as a sling over my left shoulder with the waist strap for added support. Way easier on my back than a vest and holds a fair amount. Also as mentioned above allows me to wade deeper than a traditional waist pack.

I thought I'd like a waist pack. I have an Umpqua one. I rarely use it. It doesn't want to stay up on my waist and is difficult to access things. I'm half tempted to sell it since I haven't used it in 2 or 3 years.

I have a magnet on my wading belt just in front of my left hip. The other magnet is on my net, at the base of the handle. The net hangs handle up, at my side, just off my hip. Works well for me.
The magnet sounds like a good idea. How do you attach the magnet to your wading belt, so the magnet on the net is flush for a clean, secure hold?

The magnet sounds like a good idea. How do you attach the magnet to your wading belt, so the magnet on the net is flush for a clean, secure hold?
I use a Fishpond South Park wading belt which has a number of different attachment points. I use a stainless split ring. Prior to the fishpond, I used tactical gear clips for both my net and wading staff similar to these:

When looking at them, I recommend loading it up with some water bottles (maybe 1 or two more than you’ll carry) to simulate weight and wearing it around a good bit at the store. Also, if you get into bigger sizes, make sure it has a shoulder strap option to take some load off your back. I think most of the big brands will have this but, something to look for and try out as you try on.

Side note: Looks like that vest will accept a pack on the back - might be a good option to explore too, assuming you aren’t already using it.

Last edited:
I followed troubitten’s advice a bought a study tactical belt to replace my wading belt. I hang my wading staff and water bottle and may move more to it. Very happy.

Back