Waist High Waders

bigjohn58

bigjohn58

I'm looking at getting a pair of waist high waders probably more so for brookie fishing. I'm looking at the Simms Freestones. They are pretty much at the top of my price range for what I want spend. Anyone have experience with these or any other brands?

I don't have experience with the Freestone waist highs, but I did get a pair of the new Dryft Seekr wading pants for Christmas this year. I've only been out in them about a half dozen times, so I cant comment on durability, but otherwise have been very impressed. The build quality seems very good and they are very comfortable for the hike in fishing that I do. Only thing that may be a turn off for some is that they are styled to look like blue jeans more so than your typical waders. Personally, I don't care what they look like as long as they perform well.

Before advising Santa what to get me, I emailed customer service for help with sizing and they were quick to respond and said they would work with me on exchanges need be. I feel like the sizing chart on the site is pretty spot on though.

Whichever route you decide to go, I think that clip on suspenders are a great addition to any waist high wader. Helps keep them in place while climbing over rocks or in and out of streams. I was able to find some on amazon with plastic clips (called "no buzz" for airport security reasons) which I think will help with corrosion, etc.

DrownedFish wrote:
I don't have experience with the Freestone waist highs, but I did get a pair of the new Dryft Seekr wading pants for Christmas this year. I've only been out in them about a half dozen times, so I cant comment on durability, but otherwise have been very impressed. The build quality seems very good and they are very comfortable for the hike in fishing that I do. Only thing that may be a turn off for some is that they are styled to look like blue jeans more so than your typical waders. Personally, I don't care what they look like as long as they perform well.

Before advising Santa what to get me, I emailed customer service for help with sizing and they were quick to respond and said they would work with me on exchanges need be. I feel like the sizing chart on the site is pretty spot on though.

Whichever route you decide to go, I think that clip on suspenders are a great addition to any waist high wader. Helps keep them in place while climbing over rocks or in and out of streams. I was able to find some on amazon with plastic clips (called "no buzz" for airport security reasons) which I think will help with corrosion, etc.

I looked at those Dryft pants. They are just a hair more than the Simms. I've thought about them but think I might like the Simms better (mainly since they are $20 cheaper actually I found the Simms for $240 so they are like $60 cheaper now than the Dryft). I already have suspenders that I wear with my wader pants I use with my kayak. Those wader pants I actually modified a pair of waders I had that had a slight leak. They are good enough for the kayak and if a fish flops around and I get a hook in them its not that big of a deal.

bigjohn58 wrote:

I looked at those Dryft pants. They are just a hair more than the Simms. I've thought about them but think I might like the Simms better (mainly since they are $20 cheaper actually I found the Simms for $240 so they are like $60 cheaper now than the Dryft). I already have suspenders that I wear with my wader pants I use with my kayak. Those wader pants I actually modified a pair of waders I had that had a slight leak. They are good enough for the kayak and if a fish flops around and I get a hook in them its not that big of a deal.

When I was looking, the dryft pants were on sale for $225 for the holidays and the only places with my size in the simms were selling them for $280. Price was a factor for me as well. If you can find the simms for less than the dryft pants, I wouldn't have any reservations about going that route.

I bought the freestones in 2012 and put them through the ringer. I fish on average 40 days a year. They started leaking last fall so I picked up a new pair after Christmas. Not a fan of the elastic at the ankles. Much prefer the neoprene gravel guards my old ones had.

I've worn both Simms and Patagonia waist highs. First was Simms. When those wore out someone suggested Patagonia. Patagonia is a more "relaxed fit" for me so they are easier to get around in stream side. I like them better than Simms for that reason.

I also have the Patagonia wading pants, and like them.
Have only used them 1 season - good so far.
Still too soon to comment on their durability.

But I like the ease of putting them on and getting around in.
Also a lot cooler in hot weather

I haven't owned a pair of full waders in over 20 years and wear waist highs unless I'm fishing hip boot water.

By brand, the two best pairs I've owned were Simms Freestones and Bean's Kennebec (no longer offered). Both lasted 3 full seasons before they became more than 5% Aquaseal by surface area. The Simms first gave out in the seams and the Bean's gave out to abrasion and small tears.

From a bang for the buck standpoint, I've had decent luck with Frogg Toggs. At half the price, they lasted nearly as long as Simms/Beans, maybe a half season less on average.

I never had very good luck with Cabelas waist highs, even though because of the credit card points, they were what I've had the most pairs of. But I was doing well if my Cabelas waist highs lasted more than a season and a half.

I know nothing about Patagonia other than summer is almost over down there, nor Dryyft or whatever it is.

Back