Wading Staffs?

A

a23fish

Thinking about getting a couple wading staffs this coming year, one for me & one for the wife. While riverside sticks have done in a pinch last year, I think something a bit more reliable is in order. Any recommendations on what to consider or what to avoid?

Dear a23fish,

Look no further than Folstaff. I will say that I bought my genuine Folstaff at LL Bean on sale at a great price, so deals can be found.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I have had and used a couple, including the Folstaff. If you search YouTube for Troutbitten's channel or his website, his system using basic telescoping trekking polls is something I have turned to more often, however. Worth a look.

I second the Folstaff. You won't find anything sturdier. Pricey but well worth it.

No matter which staff you decide on be sure to get a staff with a 3/4 inch diameter. The cheaper 1/2 inch staffs vibrate like a tuning fork in stiff current. I also have heard that the Simms staffs are not the best for longevity and had to be replaced under warranty. Some have had no complaints. The Folstaff can also separate when lodged between rocks or in sticky mud. I have rarely had that problem. Sometimes they stick and can be difficult to separate. At the end of the day I rap my Folstaff on the back of the car tire and it loosens the connections. Folstaff is a small family business that stand behind their staffs. Really nice people that I beleive are still based in the Catskills.

There is a small company named Riverstick that makes custom machined wading staffs that I have heard good things about. Makes them 3 or 4 times a year so you need to check for immediate availability. Prices are in line with Folstaff and Simms.

Last edited:
Simms had some issues at the beginning of production but got them straightened out. I do like the way the Simms stick locks in place. Mine lost its tip and had to be replaced but they took care of it. Folstaf that I’ve seen only rely on the elastic cord and connections to hold it together I too have heard good things about Riverstick but the holder they come with is a metal belt style hammer loop just seems to me like a place for fly line etc. to get caught in.

I've had an orvis one for about 13 long years and it finally has been retired. I'm thinking about getting another one from orvis but the new pro waders have a belt that will not fit on their staff!!! I had a Folstaff before the orvis one and two different times it jammed so badly I had to return it. I tried waxing them but that failed as well. Thinking about going simms but not 100 percent yet.

Listen to Nymphwristed above and look up Troutbitten sight. I put together a wading belt (nylon police duty belt), zinger to retract the wading staff to the belt, and wading staff (trekking pole from Amazon) just as he suggested. Trekking poles come as a pair, so both you and your wife can have one. Total outfit will cost less than a Folstaff, Orvis, Simms or whatever staff alone. Whichever way you go, I definitely recommend a wading staff. Three points of contact on the stream bottom are much safer than two!

Riverstick wading staffs are the best wading staffs available, IMO. I have/had Folstafs and Simms staffs as well, and they are both functional but they don’t come close to matching Riversticks features overall.

However, there are a couple things about Riversticks that are worthy of mention. First, they are relatively heavy. Personally, that doesn’t bother me because when I’m using a staff in rough water I don’t want one that I have to worry about bending, breaking or coming apart. That won’t happen with Riverstick’s.

Second, because Riverstick staffs are custom made for you, it’s important that you get the proper length. Order one too long or too short and you won’t be happy.

The hammer holster that Riverstick’s come with works perfectly, and hasn’t been a problem catching line for me, but if it is for you you only need to move it out of the way toward your back on your wading belt. It securely holds the wading staff when not in use, and is very easy to put the staff into or take out.

Last edited:
I love my Falstaff. Now having bad knees, it really paid for itself.

I own two Folstafs, one Orvis with the paracord, one Simms aluminum before they "improved" (and ruined) it, and one REC wading staff with a spring inside and Neodymium magnets at the joints.

A couple of observations: the Simms, Orvis and trekking poles do NOT deploy one handed. That means you have to do something with your rod to extend it so most likely have it dragging behind you all day because it's a PIA to fold them back up and redeploy when needed.

However an advantage to these wading staffs is no elastic shock cord which will require replacement eventually. No shock cord also means you can store them folded up in the trunk of your car and they will NOT pull apart if the bottom section gets stuck in the mud.

Other observations: the Orvis, Simms, REC and many other staffs are 4 section wading staffs and MUCH longer folded up than a Folstaf. That means you looks like you have an umbrella at your side and I personally don't like having a long folded up staff bouncing on my thigh all day like a cutlass.

Many of the 4 section staffs have ski pole style handles that you have to grip correctly so they fit in your hand properly, another hassle. I rather have a straight grip made of cork or something other than plastic.

Another thing I found with the Orvis, Simms & REC staffs, they all come with a Neoprene scabbard that fits the staff fine but because the scabbard is long and stretchy, it is a PIA to repeatedly put the folded up staff back in the scabbard...

Another reason you will probably have it dragging behind you all day...

I have been using a Folstaf ever since Joan Stoliar gave me my first one in her Greenwich Village basement back in the 1980's. I prefer it over anything I have ever seen or used for a lot of other reasons and I keep my other staffs stored in my car as back-ups:

First, I can keep my much smaller folded up Folstaf in a MOLLE water bottle pouch and it is completely enclosed and out of the way with no lanyards or other things hanging about waiting to get snagged on a tree branch. If you bushwhack and want to use a staff so you don't fall and smash you knees on a rock, you'll appreciate snag free compactness.

A Folstaf has tapered joints as opposed to a straight joint as are found on the the REC and the Riverstick. Straight joints don't jamb, however they ALL pull apart MUCH easier than the tapered joints of the Folstaf which means they pull apart a lot easier if stuck in the mud.

FWIW - the Neodymium magnets at the joints of the REC don't help as much as I hoped for with the mud issue but rather help more with one handed deployment.

Folstaf joints can jamb however periodic waxing and tapping the entire staff on a hard surface at the tip or tapping the effected joint on a hard surface has NEVER, EVER failed me getting it unstuck.

The joint sticking and pulling apart thing are minor hassles and easily managed to get the compact size folded and the one hand deployment. I also like the fact I can get it serviced if needed.

I take the advice of Folstaf and store my staff long term fully extended which lessens the tension on the shock cords which extends their life and I never store it long term in the heat of a car trunk.

I use the Orvis version of the Gear Keeper wading staff retractor that utilizes a Spectra cord versus a coated steel cable and leave the Folstaf cord intact and just wrap it around my staff and secure it with a couple of o-rings.

I wouldn't recommend using the threaded stud on the Orvis retractor. Instead I use the MOLLE swivel mount that Gearkeeper sells separately to secure my retractor.

Good luck!!

I use a "Hammer" branded folding staff I purchased through Amazon some 10+ years ago.Link Wow! Just noticed the price difference from when I bought it. I only paid $22 for it back then.

It is a bungee system with the ski pole style grip. I have experienced the stuck in the mud pull apart, but found that, if I just give it a twist before pulling it out it frees much easier. Also use a candle to lubricate the joints and seems to be just tacky enough to not pull apart when not wanted and not be difficult to pull apart for storage. YMMV

As others have said, I am not as steady on my feet as I would like (Parkinson's and old basketball injuries) and find the staff helps me steadier as I wade .

Listen to Nymphwristed above and look up Troutbitten sight. I put together a wading belt (nylon police duty belt), zinger to retract the wading staff to the belt, and wading staff (trekking pole from Amazon) just as he suggested. Trekking poles come as a pair, so both you and your wife can have one. Total outfit will cost less than a Folstaff, Orvis, Simms or whatever staff alone. Whichever way you go, I definitely recommend a wading staff. Three points of contact on the stream bottom are much safer than two!
As a way to address some comments about the lanyard, the trekking poles are so cheap that I don't use a lanyard. If I loose, I loose it. Have not lost one yet, however. Use good Fishpond magnets or similar, and you should be good. Without the lanyard, I am more likely to walk with it in hand when not in the water too, which is useful for angry geese and rabid dogs :unsure:

I have a couple of nice wading staffs made from wooden replacement rake handles I bought at the local big box for a few bucks. Also can scrounge handles out of trash cans or dumpsters if you’re so inclined. Buy a rubber tip that goes on a cane or crutch and put it on the end. Drill a hole for a lanyard and you’re good to go. Want to get fancy? Apply a coat of wood stain if the handle is unfinished. You won’t feel that bad if/when you lose it on the stream because you forgot to make sure it was attached to your belt. I also have a collapsible hiking pole I’ve used at times. I prefer it for hiking rather than wading.

My buddy bought a Folstaff and fighting it apart would make me crazy. I'd cut a maple sapling before using one of those.
Mine's a $40 noname from Amazon that snaps together and pulls apart with no drama. Even better, the joints are more solid than many I've seen for sale in fly shops.

Thinking about getting a couple wading staffs this coming year, one for me & one for the wife. While riverside sticks have done in a pinch last year, I think something a bit more reliable is in order. Any recommendations on what to consider or what to avoid?
I have a Folstaf that I got for free - After using it a couple times I would never buy one. The tip gets stuck between rocks and the sections come apart when trying to dislodge it. I use old ski poles from my skiing days, you can also get them at second hand stores for a couple bucks. They do not come apart and they do not collapse on you when you need support. If you lose one, no biggie.
I've used trekking poles for trekking and had cheap ones collapse under pressure. Leki have not collapsed.
Riverstick seems to get good reviews but I am totally satisfied with my one piece ski poles.

Funny I have been using a Folstaff for over 30 years and have no problems. I bought it from walt Dette's shop and although it was not as expensive as today it did not cost a couple of bucks.

Funny I have been using a Folstaff for over 30 years and have no problems. I bought it from walt Dette's shop and although it was not as expensive as today it did not cost a couple of bucks.
The ski poles are a couple bucks not the folstaff.

Some people have good luck with the Folstaff and others don't. Mine is a real folstaff and it's pulled apart a few times after the tip got jammed in between rocks. Fortunately I did not need it for my next steps or I would have been in the drink. Now it stays at home.

I've had an orvis one for about 13 long years and it finally has been retired. I'm thinking about getting another one from orvis but the new pro waders have a belt that will not fit on their staff!!! I had a Folstaff before the orvis one and two different times it jammed so badly I had to return it. I tried waxing them but that failed as well. Thinking about going simms but not 100 percent yet.
Update: Went to Orvis to pick up a rod repair and their new staff does fit on the waders unlike the old one I had. I purchased a new one and yes they are expensive but if it lasts as long as my first one it will be worth it.

Riverstick custom-machined wading staff. Excellent quality. Excellent price.

Back