Wading staff

F

fogel228

I find myself in need of yet another piece of equipment, a wading staff. This is one that I have to kick up a notch on the serious side as I do not want a failure when I need it most. I looked at a Fishpond at a local shop and the upper section would not lock at all and the lower section would wobble back and forth even though it was tightly locked. NOT a confidence booster. Any suggestions for this newbie.

It depends whether you want an expensive collapsing one, or if you're willing to settle for cheap stability. From what I can tell, with all of the collapsing staffs run the risk of coming apart. They sure are nice, though.

I got one of those metal tipped paint roller extensions and lashed a handle to it. If you're looking for cheap and useful, that'll do it.

I have the fishpond staff, I would say they stole my $90 bucks on that one. Stay away from it after one outing and Salmon river I lost the rubber bottom section and in a swift current it wobbles pretty bad. The Orvis collapsing models seem pretty nice!

Folstaff.

I fell once and got lucky. I now keep a Folstaff on my belt whenever I wade.

I have a $13 3-section telescoping aluminum walking staff (ski pole) from StuffMart. It is very stable. I hang it from a carabiner on on my waist and it mostly stays out of my way.

I got one of the Dan Bailey one, one of the worse buys I ever made. The one I made many years ago, from a broom stick does a way better job.

PaulG

I’ve been using a Folstaff for many years now. I have the heavier, ¾” version. Last year the cork finally gave up and I returned it to Folstaff where they replaced the cork, replaced the cord and two new sections. All this for $20.00. I use it all the time and it has never let me down.

I can’t comment on the telescoping staffs but the design seems like the could be subject to getting stuck when dirty.

Maintenance is pretty easy as you only need to lube the end sections with candle wax now and then. Given the years of service and the type of service, I think it’s well worth the money. Good Luck & let us know how you make out.

Rolf

Ditto to Albie's set-up. Works well and inexpensive!

I tried a cheap folding staff a few years sgo but it kept coming apart when it stock in the bottom. I threw it away.

I made a staff out of a cherry branch, twine, epoxy and an eye screw. It's strong, light and cheap (nearly free). I run a length of rope from my belt to the eye screw so I can let it dangle when I'm fishing. I use it as a walking stick when I'm not fishing.

I almost never use a staff but this one saved my bacon on Penns last year. I don't mind lugging it around on Penns or the Lehigh since those are the streams where i would most likely need it.

I'm not saying the $100 staffs aren't nice, but I have better things to spend my money on.

I agree with FlySwatter. I have better ways of spending my hard earned dollars. I took a wooden broom handle cut the threads off drilled a hole for a piece of rope, attached a carabineer (ease of attaching it to my belt and then added a rubber end (the kind that you can get to replace the safety rubber end on a cane). Works great. I even made one to leave at my mom's house in Colorado. I always visit her when I go out to fish. Not stylish but it is very strong and reliable. I want to put a T-nut on the end so that I can screw in a bolt and use it as a sky hook to get my dang flies out of the trees.

Several years ago I had knee surgery during the winter so i needed a staff for the coming spring. I bought a Dan Bailey but it cracked the first time out. Traded up for a folstaff, same as Rolf's. A great investment. You can;t go wrong. After using it while my knee was still weak, I realized how valuable it was to have with you. Good stuff.

I have the William Joseph Staff - collapsable - and it works well for me. BUT, I have to keep it lubed or else the sections will not allow me to losen them so it telescopes back.

I picked up one of these because it has a camera mount under the handle so it doubles as a monopod. (and because it was cheap)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cascade-Mono-Pod-Shock-Absorber-Walking-Hiking-Staff_W0QQitemZ270553973381QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efe460285

I have a telescopic trekking poles similar to the William & Joseph and have had no issues. It actually has 2 locks on it, I've had no issues with it whatsoever. The one Tom shows looks pretty sweet since it has the camera mount built in.

i have a simms collapsable one and its stable and works well i got one heck of a deal on it only reason i have it but if your looking to spend money on one i would give my vote to the simms

Back