Wading Shoe Soles

G

GStan

What kind of wading shoe soles are best for all-purpose use rubber or felt?

Conventional thoughts for most would be a soft rubber with cleats. Felts transfer all kinds of critters from creek to creek. Many locations have banned the use of felts.

Rubber with cleats is fine. Rubber without cleats is also fine unless you are in fast current on smooth rocks. I had felt with cleats and that was my favorite but felt has problems in certain situations like mud or freezing temps.

Gstan:

If you are concerned about transferring critters, make sure the entire shoe is plastic with NO fabric or mesh of any type and no paracord or polyester laces, Boa system only.

If you are concerned with legal issues, don’t fish in Maryland, Alaska, Missouri, Nebraska, Rhode Island, South Dakota or Yellowstone National Park, the ONLY places with felt sole bans.

If you are concerned with overall grip in a wading shoe and don’t want to depend on studs or agonize about what stud does or doesn’t do what…

…get felt.

I have found carbide studs are best but felt is good also.

I might get felt on my next pair.

I use felt chest waders unless it's Winter. In Winter, I use Hippers with rubber soles because I don't want to be in deep or dangerous water in seriously cold conditions anyway.

I fret about cleat/stud noise - but I'm not certain if it's an actually valid concern or not ...... there seems to be many different opinions on that. But I do think stealth is the #1 & #2 priority factor.

Bamboozle wrote:
Gstan:

If you are concerned about transferring critters, make sure the entire shoe is plastic with NO fabric or mesh of any type and no paracord or polyester laces, Boa system only.

If you are concerned with legal issues, don’t fish in Maryland, Alaska, Missouri, Nebraska, Rhode Island, South Dakota or Yellowstone National Park, the ONLY places with felt sole bans.

If you are concerned with overall grip in a wading shoe and don’t want to depend on studs or agonize about what stud does or doesn’t do what…

…get felt.

Agreed on all. I've tried others and have gone right back to my felt boots.
Mike B

Back