wading safety

thetonyage

thetonyage

After taking a swim the other day I've been thinking about this topic and I feel as though it needs to be talked about a little bit more than it is. Firstly, a wading stick is very very important whether you are a senior citizen or a young buck, river rocks tend to be slippery and its nice to have an added bit of stability. I did some white water raft guiding a few years ago and one thing I learned from that that I cannot believe isn't talked about in our sport is loose gear can get stuck on something when you take a spill, and hold you under the water. As a river guide we were required to carry 2 readily accessible, fixed blade knives on our person so a stuck strap or whatever could be cut incase that happened. That's all I really have for now, but hopefully others can chime in with some tips on this subject.

Here is an article from fly fisherman about wading/fishing safety. I learned a lot from it. http://www.flyfisherman.com/2012/01/24/the-big-swim/?pid=25#image

Knock on wood but I've only had close calls. I don't consider myself a real agressive wader and don't mess with deeper water that has a lot of current. Not afraid of drowning as much as I am that one of these days I'm just going to have a nasty fall due to a slip or trip and end up with a broken bone, bad sprain or something. I use a staff on larger water like Penns Creek. Replace my cleats when they wear down too.

Notice that article linked to mentioned the wading belt constantly. You need a wading belt, and it has to be TIGHT. The article says that swimming with waders filled with water is like swimming with wet Levis. Well, if your whole body is submerged up to the point of the top of the waders, that may feel like the case, but when a piece of your upper body is out of the water you feel the weight in the waders and you get pushed around by strong, deep currents, while trying to get back to shore.

Do not cross strong currents that are over the waist to fish the other side. Especially do not do this when you are on the shallow side of the river and have to push through the deeper, stronger side. That is asking for big trouble.

Simms used to send out a good video on safe wading with every pair of waders. It would be nice if they started doing it again.

I always try to cross in shallow ripples(riffles) when wading big streams, in smaller streams most of the time I don't wading at all.

Using the buddy system can also save a life. I kinda leave this one for rivers that I am unfamiliar with. That in itself is where the danger lies. I become more at ease in my own waterways then when I go elsewheres. Statitics tell us that the majority of accidents happen near home. My fly line gets wrapped around my waterbottle, or net, or stringer - so I tend to leave them at home. I guess when I look at a staff, I have the same thoughts of something else to get caught up with my flyline. My age is a deck of cards (52) so I think I should probably invest and carry a staff as well as a good sharp knife.

I have to agree with the wading stick being a good idea but I had never thought about the loose gear being an issue. My Wading tends to get a little sloppy towards the end of the day so for me I consider a wading stick a necessity.

"2 readily accessible, fixed blade knives on our person so a stuck strap or whatever could be cut incase that happened."

Fixed blades can be every bit as dangerous as a fall in the water. Go with a lock-blade folder.

Fall on a fixed blade with a cheap sheath and say "hello" to the femoral artery.

Took a swim a couple weeks ago on Penns and my Hardy gear satchel filled up with water and I had a lot of difficulty getting to my feet... luckily I had some help. Imagine going facedown or backwards into the water with a bucket full of water strapped over your shoulders... thats what I felt like.

Nick.......it sounds like you "waterboarded" yourself. I can see the headline "Trout fishing fanatic waterboards self in local waters"

I took a spill on Penns last week, i think a belt and staff and essential, the belt was absolutely key to the waders not filling with water. Wading slowly is the key in swift water also

Penns is at the level you can't mess around right now wading Ive been in deep water everynight fishing have to pay attention with the off color water stepping it's really deep and swift.

Yeah but it sure does fish good at the higher levels don't it hook_jaw :)

I took a spill last weekend. The waist belt really does help. The top of my waders filled up but not bellow the belt...well at least not until i stood up and the water trickled down to my feet!

One thing I noticed recently. Carrying your rod really hinders your ability to balance. Try walking a section of water with your rod, then go back and do it without. With both hands free you move your arms to balance out the body. While holding a rod, you are more focused on keeping the rod level, out of the water, and out of tree branches. You forfeit some ability to balance (one arm) in order to protect your fly rod.

timmy It fishes unreal at high levels for sure. I saw a guy fall in way down below last night tried not to chuckle but it was funny lol

Back