Wading Pants

mattwolf

mattwolf

I am considering buying a pair of wading pants. I like the Simms, Freestones and the Patagonia, Gunnison Gorge. Does anyone have any experience with either or both of these and maybe prefer one over the other. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

I’ve had both. Currently using the Patagonia’s. Switched to Patagonia on a suggestion after the Simms wore out after many years. I like the Patagonia pants better as they are a more relaxed fit making it easier to step and crawl over dead falls and such. Also for the pockets where I can keep things like split shot, dessicant, etc. Maybe Simms has pockets now but they didn’t when I purchased the Patagonia. I’ve had to repair some holes from briars but that’s no different than any waders I’ve wore. As for wear and tear, they seem to be even.

Late to the party as always. I worn the Simms Freestone for 5-6 seasons with no complaints. That comes to about 200+ days and still going strong.

Getting in late for me also.
But more timely from my end.

I remember a thread about them on here not too long ago.
And seem to recall that all the guys who tried them, really like them.
So, I've had it in mind to give them a try sometime

I recently received the annual fall clearance flyer from Madison River Fly co.
And they have the Patagonia Gunnison Gorge wading pants - retail price of $300 - marked down to $180.

So I sprung for it, and just received them today.
Seem to be very well made. And Patagonia's warranty sounds like it's top notch.

I obviously haven't tried them yet.
But with the weather forecast calling for a nice warm up the next 2 days - and I'm off - I just might get out and give them a go

Are we taking about pants you wear under the waders or short waders?

tracker12 wrote:
Are we taking about pants you wear under the waders or short waders?

waist high waders

I'm on my 3rd year with a set of the Simms Freestones and have been satisfied with them. Not jump up and down in rapture, but satisfied. I had to do the seams on both legs with A-seal this spring, but otherwise they've been good. The only others I've perhaps liked a bit better were the Beans Kennebecs which were just as durable and not quite so much like putting on a suit of armor. The Simms are fairly substantial, but I suppose that's part of the durability. And as with a lot of stuff sold by a variety of folks, as soon as Beans found out I liked the Kennebecs, they stopped making them.. So, they're out I guess.

I have a good buddy who usually buys the Dan Bailey wading pants and they last him twice as long as any pair of any brand has lasted me. But unlike me, he watches where he walks and is pretty fussy care-wise.

I know nothing about Patagonia other than it is almost Summer down there..

I got out and fished a few hours today in my gunnison gorge wading pants, on a medium size stream.

Very nice to fish in. Less confining And I'm sure they'd be more comfortable in hot weather

These will serve me well on small and medium size streams.
However, on big water, I'll still want to use chest waders

I went with the Simms and my fishing partner went with the Patagonia's. We both like them. Patagonia's seem a little more flexible (maybe not as durable) and the Simms seem to have a better gravel guard. We shall see who's hold up better.

Back